Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jane Godden

Default 1901 Census query - missing children!

Hello
    I wonder if anyone could help me shed some light on a bit of a mystery!
    I'm tracing the Housley family from Brinsley, Nottinghamshire who were found on the 1911 census (William & Rose and 4 of their children, Ia fifth child had died in 1909) - 3 of the children were born between 1890 and 1895, the eldest Thomas is my geat grandfather and he, with William and Rose were on the 1891 census as expected. It is the 1901 census that baffles me - it only shows William, Rose, Thomas & Beatrice who lived between 1900-1909. Walter, born 1892 and Lancelot born 1895, are NOT on the 1901 census. I can't work out why as they were only age 9 and 6.

I have searched in Nottinghamshire for Walter Housley and Lancelot Housley to see if they were living with other relatives but no trace of them!

Any thoughts from any of you experienced researchers out there? Unfortunately there is no-one left in my family with any memories of Walter or Lancelot.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

Jane

RobinC

Could this be Walter and Lancelot?

Mary A Davis 60
    Ada Davis 21
    Walter Housley 10
    Lance Housley 6

They are both listed as a visitor at Woodhouse Mill, Yorkshire but are both listed as being born in Brinsley, Nottinghamshire.

Class: RG13; Piece: 4388; Folio: 68; Page: 15.

judyg

Hi Jane,

The 1901 Census has Walter Housley aged 10 and Lance Housley aged 6 both born Brinsley Nottinghamshire in the household of Mary A Davis and her daughter Ada. They are at 7 Coalbrook Crescent, Handsworth, Woodhouse Mill, Yorkshire West Riding. The boys are described as visitors.

Cheers
    Judyg

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Could this be Walter and Lancelot?

Mary A Davis 60
    Ada Davis 21
    Walter Housley 10
    Lance Housley 6

They are both listed as a visitor at Woodhouse Mill, Yorkshire but are both listed as being born in Brinsley, Nottinghamshire.

Class: RG13; Piece: 4388; Folio: 68; Page: 15.
    May be the two boys were staying with their mother's family? If so here's a possible marriage.

Oct - Dec 1887, Basford, 7b 197.

William Housley, also indexed on the page is Rose Hannah DAVIS

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    May be the two boys were staying with their mother's family? If so here's a possible marriage.

Oct - Dec 1887, Basford, 7b 197.

William Housley, also indexed on the page is Rose Hannah DAVIS
    I was thinking that either Ada or Rose had been a Davis at one time or another, it seems to fit though!

Lizzy9

1881. 35, Island, Handsworth, Sheffield. All born Derbyshire except Ada and George both Yorks.

John Davis/42
    Mary A. Davis/38
    Rose H. Davis /14
    George Davis/5
    Rachel Davis /3
    Ada Davis/7 months

RG11; Piece: 4669; Folio: 41; Page: 18; (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Jane Godden

Wow, you clever people, I am thoroughly impressed by the very quick response and yes I believe these are definitey my great great uncles as Rose Hannah Davis was their mother!
    Thank you so very much,

Regards
    Jane

RobinC

I looked on Ancestry for Walter and found a possible match but then swapped my attention to Lancelot, searched for him under "Lance" and found the record n my first post.

It might be worth looking for "Lance Housley" if you want to find out more about him.

RobinC

Here's some more info on them both:

Walter:

Name: Walter Housley
    Birth: Dec 1891 - Basford, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire
    Volume Number: 7b
    Page Number: 299

Spouse: Emma Bailey
    Marriage: Apr-May-Jun 1919 - Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
    Volume Number: 7b
    Page Number: 309

Death: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
    Death: Oct-Nov-Dec 1954
    Volume: 3c
    Page: 260

Lancelot:

Name: Lancelot Housley
    Birth: Jun 1895 - Basford, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire
    Volume: 7b
    Page: 145

Spouse: Mary A Sharpe
    Marriage: Jan-Feb-Mar 1919 - Sheffield, Yorkshire - West Riding
    Volume Number: 9c
    Page Number: 760

Birth: 21 Mar 1895
    Death: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England
    Death: Apr-May-Jun 1969
    Volume: 3c
    Page: 352

Please note that these are probable events for your Walter and Lancelot but I would check them out by getting the certificates if and when you can.

Jane Godden

Hi Robin

Thank you for this. I'd already got the births and believe these are correct although am checking the parish records.
    Not sure about the marriages - Walter definitely married in 1931 to Hannah Theakstone (her 2nd marriage) Basford 7b 365 - they had no children although Hannah had a child from a previous marriage They both died in 1972, Basford 3c 223 -and 3c 698- this is reliable as it came from Hannah's daughter in law who we coincidentally met the other day!
    Its possible Walter may have married twice but I will check this out along with Lancelot's marriage as Hannah's daughter in law can't remember him ever marrying - the death record seems feasible but I want to find out what he did between the 1911 census and his death - he possibly lived with Walter & Hannah in the 1950s but rumour has it that he ran a pub at one time!
    Does anyone know if its possible to trace where people lived after the 1911 census - are past electoral roll records available?

Thanks to everyone for help received.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast