Loves to help with queries

Default UK Aliens Entry Books

Ancestry.co has some new records of Arrivals, Alien Arrivals 1810-1811 and 1826-1869 looks useful. Tucked away on "view all new records" is UK Aliens Entry Books. This is not searchable, you appear to have to trawl through each Entry Book page by page. Does anyone know if this is likely to be searchable in the near future to make it more practicable?
    My greatGrandfather was Matthew Boor born about 1847 in Germany who probably arrived in England aftyer the 1871 census and by 1873 when he married Mary Ann Alice Parkinson in Darlington, the Parkinson family had been in Hackney London at the time of the 1881 census.
    As ever, appreciate any help.
    Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As you say, Aliens Entry Books 1794-1921 (HO 5) are browsable only. I'd be surprised if there were plans to index these, as they consist largely of Home Office correspondence, but you could always ask Ancestry.

In case it helps anyone else, the other new database, Aliens Arrivals 1810-1811, 1826-1869 (mainly HO 2 and HO 3) is searchable, though I appreciate the dates are too early for you, Colin.

Have a good browse.

LittleMissP

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    As you say, Aliens Entry Books 1794-1921 (HO 5) are browsable only. I'd be surprised if there were plans to index these, as they consist largely of Home Office correspondence, but you could always ask Ancestry. :
    If you find out an answer to this please let us know, personally it'd be fantastic to search for my great grandfather, but having already had a brief browse then frankly the enormity of the records in their unindexed form renders them almost useless in my opinion. Surely an index of just names wouldn't take anc* that long to compile? If they put it in their indexing projects for volunteers it would be pretty quick and not even very expensive! They add plenty of quite bizarre collections to these volunteer projects and I wouldn't categorise this collection as obscure.

Loves to help with queries

I asked Anc* if they intended making UK Aliens Entry Books searchable but reply indices no plans to do so. So it is browseable only. There is an alphbetical index at back of each "Book" which may make the search easier. I believe Naturalisation applications could only happen after 5 years of residence, so an individual may not appear as "Entering" the country but there may be reference to a application later.
    Also looks like a little gap between HO 5/042 finishing March 1871 and HO 5/043 starting February 1873 which is probably the time my greatGrandfather Matthew Boor arrived!
    Colin