Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Are you sure, though, Geoffers? See my earlier post (No. 4) and compare the same name in the marriage entry: that wouldn't have been written up later from a day book, though it might possibly have been filled out in advance. And what are the chances of him getting it wrong both times?

Arthur

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk
    Are you sure, though, Geoffers? See my earlier post (No. 4) and compare the same name in the marriage entry
    This particular baptismal entry, in my view, appears to read Ragner and that is how I would transcribe it. As mentioned I wouldn't have a problem with the proposition that Rayner was intended.

And what are the chances of him getting it wrong both times?
    I tend to shy away from referring to older documents getting spellings wrong, especially with regard to names - to me they are just different spellings.

In the marriage which you found, entry 108, page 36, the third letter of Lydia's surname is different to the 'y' in 'Thirty four' and 'January' this may be because it is in the middle of the word rather than at the end - but then it is also different to the 'y' in Lydia which in the middle of the name. Personally I would be inclined to transcribe the marriage entry as Lydia RA(G?)NER, including the question mark because I concede it is not clear - especially with the repeated spelling where she made her mark.

As to Clerics spelling names differently within the same entry - it does happen.

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking at it again, and comparing with the writing in other entries nearby, I agree that perhaps the vicar has written RAGNER, but the fact that he did this at the marriage as well makes me wonder whether that might be a Norfolk surname too. And if so, would a Norfolk accent pronounce it in a similar way to RAYNER, so that the two could easily be confused?

Arthur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12