RobinC

Default Informant of death query.

I received an email the other day, (whilst still researching) and in it, the respondent has stated that my great grandfather asked for a Mr Stanley Beacon of Leamington, Ontario to be informed if he was wounded or killed during his service in the Canadian Army Medical Corps, his next of kin was his father who was a sapper in the Royal Engineers with the British Navy.

Incidentally, my great grandfather remained in England throughout his service and allegedly had his right index finger amputated at the lower joint but this was made evident on enlistment.

The thing that is puzzling me is why would he ask for Mr Beacon to be informed if any injury or death occured?

Could they have been partners in business whilst they were both in Canada or did they just get on well?

If anyone knows any way of finding out about Stanley Beacon and his background, I would be most grateful.

bibliojunkie

Good to see you back posting family research queries Robin!

My initial reaction to this was to ask if you are sure your respondent has got the right man. If he/she has, then perhaps your ggrandfather did have some loose ends, property or personal matters, and Mr B was the most appropriate person to sort them out.

Ali

Brick wall demolition expert!

From one of your other posts, is this the same great-grandfather who was sent to Canada as a "home child"? If so, perhaps Stanley Beacon was his beloved foster parent?

RobinC

Hello Adele,

You could be right there, I didn't think of Stanley Beacon being the foster parent.

Robin.

P.S. Ali, I'm just tying up some loose ends! lol

RobinC

I looked on IGI and have found a birth for a Stanley M Beacon in 1882, in Ontario. His parents were Robert Beacom and Mrs. Robert Beacom.

This Stanley would have been 15 years older than my great grandfather but he would have been 30 in 1912 when my great grandfather was sent to Canada.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I looked on IGI and have found a birth for a Stanley M Beacon in 1882, in Ontario. His parents were Robert Beacom and Mrs. Robert Beacom.

This Stanley would have been 15 years older than my great grandfather but he would have been 30 in 1912 when my great grandfather was sent to Canada.
    That entry is member submitted and should be treated with caution. The year of birth is not accurate, but an estimation.

How fortuitous that a misspelling on a soldier's record and in the IGI can actually lead somewhere. I searched unsuccessfully for Stanley Beacon in Ontario, but when I looked for a Robert Beacom, it all came together:

I think the person that your great-grandfather wanted to be notified was Stanley Melvin Beacom, found here in the Leamington area on the 1911 census of Canada (free transcription website):

https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...+Stanly+Beacom

If you click split view at the top of the page, you can view the image of the census sheet.

RobinC

Thank you Adele,

I had a look on Ancestry as the record is clearer on there and Stanley is transcribed as 'Stanales', which is what it appears to say.

I wonder if Robert & Lydia took Thomas in as there is no sign of a wife for Stanley as marriage would surely have been a requirement for fostering?

On the 1911 census, Stanley's wife Odessa is on the next line. I used the word "foster" in its loosest sense. And no, home children were not always placed in two parent households.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    On the 1911 census, Stanley's wife Odessa is on the next line. I used the word "foster" in its loosest sense. And no, home children were not always placed in two parent households.
    I didn't read the census properly and thought Odessa was Stanley's sister, not his wife. It looks more likely that they could have been the foster parents.

Next step is to email the person who provided Stanley's name to see if there is any link in terms of business or fostering.