Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    busyglen

Default Advice please. Am I safe in doing this?

I have two queries that are similar, but not sure how I stand on them, so would be grateful of some advice.

I am re-creating as much info as I can find relating to a village that was pulled down in the mid-1970s, but so far most of the info has been transcribed by me. I was recently given a copy of a local directory for 1901 (over 100yrs old) which included details of the people living in the village. It wasn't taken from the Census as there were quite a few different people living in the houses, and there was no info on copyright. The firm no longer exists, so I copied it, changing the order from Name index to Road index. Could I fall foul here, bearing in mind the company no longer exists?

The second issue is that I have been given photocopies of three directories for 1953,1957 and 1964 relating only to the village. I believe it was printed by a local Estate Agents, which still exists on the Island, but with different partners etc. and a copy of these are held in the local Library. Could I use this information if I altered the layout, and what would the position be regarding the people who lived in the village at these times. Bearing in mind again that the village no longer exists.

I have been doing this in an effort to help anyone searching for their families that lived in the village, which so far has brought quite a few results.

I 'd welcome your advice.

Glenys

Hi Glenys
    If you are transcribing it and formatting it yourself, bearing in mind the formatting is not the same as the original, I see no problem with the first.
    The three copies of the directories - on my site I work on the 100 year rule, no names of any person who could be living, are put on the site.
    You could always approach the Estate Agent to see if they did produce it and ask permission to use the parts without names.

Reputation beyond repute

People worry too much about copyright. You're not pirating the latest Hollywood blockbuster.

If I were you I'd just get on with it. If anyone complains you can always apologise.

busyglen

Hi Neil,

The site already bears names of living people. There are also quite a few photos and memories of these people, who have been happy to see their names associated with the village, including a list of the names of the remaining people when the village was pulled down. As these names can be looked up in the directories anyway, and it has been 35 years since the village was razed to the ground, I couldn't see that it would be a problem. Perhaps I'm wrong?

I could approach the Estate Agents, that wouldn't be a problem, but I am now wondering about the living people. There is only the head of household listed and initials or full name sometimes, together with the number of the house and the name of the road. I can't see how it could cause problems for the families now, as some I know have died, and others moved away and the rest were rehoused in the town, so not really traceable. I'm not sure now whether I should use them or not?

Glenys

busyglen

Thank you, Peter! I've only just seen your replies.

My feelings were the same as yours, but I am a worrier, hence the hesitation.

Glenys

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    People worry too much about copyright. You're not pirating the latest Hollywood blockbuster.

If I were you I'd just get on with it. If anyone complains you can always apologise.
    I agree with Peter - Well said Peter Goodey

Thomasin

It sounds like a good, valuable project, Glenys. Go for it! I think that as long as you acknowledge your sources everyone should be happy.

busyglen

Thank you all for your advice, it has been much appreciated and I've decided to `go' for it.

Glenys

Peter_uk_can

Good for you. and if it goes bad and you get locked up, we will smuggle you in a cake, disguised as a box of hacksaw blades.

busyglen

Brilliant Peter! I'll hold you to that.

Glenys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast