Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    Good for you. and if it goes bad and you get locked up, we will smuggle you in a cake, disguised as a box of hacksaw blades.
    And just think what fun any future members of your family might have, when they discover that Great Aunt Glenys was a jailbird........

love
    Ann

busyglen

Mmm. Now there's a thought!

Glen

Starting to feel at home

As a good friend of mine says ' It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission'

(Ref Lisa M numerous occasions, various places)

Regards
    Linda

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Barmouth View Post
    As a good friend of mine says ' It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission'

(Ref Lisa M numerous occasions, various places)

Regards
    Linda
    That takes me back to my childhood!

If I asked my mother if I could do something, 5 times out of 10 she would say no. If I didn't ask, and I did something wrong, I would always say I was sorry, I didn't think!

Glenys

Koops

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    I have two queries that are similar, but not sure how I stand on them, so would be grateful of some advice.

I am re-creating as much info as I can find relating to a village that was pulled down in the mid-1970s, but so far most of the info has been transcribed by me. I was recently given a copy of a local directory for 1901 (over 100yrs old) which included details of the people living in the village. It wasn't taken from the Census as there were quite a few different people living in the houses, and there was no info on copyright. The firm no longer exists, so I copied it, changing the order from Name index to Road index. Could I fall foul here, bearing in mind the company no longer exists?

The second issue is that I have been given photocopies of three directories for 1953,1957 and 1964 relating only to the village. I believe it was printed by a local Estate Agents, which still exists on the Island, but with different partners etc. and a copy of these are held in the local Library. Could I use this information if I altered the layout, and what would the position be regarding the people who lived in the village at these times. Bearing in mind again that the village no longer exists.

I have been doing this in an effort to help anyone searching for their families that lived in the village, which so far has brought quite a few results.

I 'd welcome your advice.

Glenys
    Hi Glenys, this project sounds facinating are you able to tell us which village it all relates to? Can't wait to read all about it!
    Koops

busyglen

Hi Koops,

I'm afraid I can't give you the link here as unfortunately it is hosted by a commercial site. But the village is Westminster on the Isle of Sheppey.

Glenys

fudgecake

googled site and had a look, very interesting, love the pics, keep up the good work xxx

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is nothing wrong with posting information about living people on an individual's website.
    The Information Commissioner has previously made a statement about this.

However there may be a problem depending upon the relationship between your site and the commercial site.

If you simply mean you have been provided webspace by a company then there is nothing to worry about. If your website is simply another page of a commercial site then there could be problems.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by fudgecake View Post
    googled site and had a look, very interesting, love the pics, keep up the good work xxx

Thank you fudgecake.

Glenys

busyglen

Thanks for your reply Guy. I appreciate your comments, which help.

Glenys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast