Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cj250406

Default tom duncan 1897-1977

hi,

my great grandfather (b.1897 barnsley m.1944 huddersfield d.1977 huddersfield) he joined to fight in ww1 at 16/17,

his children remember playing with his medals from the war but have no idea what happened to any of them when they moved addresses

just wondering if anyone could help me find any information on his military/war records and what medals he received please

cj

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you tried here?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

This research guide explains what you can do about piecing together his service record.

cj250406

thank you for the useful links

cj250406

can any1 help me check ancestry has i am not a member and don't have sufficent funds to become a member

Procat

There is only one Tom Duncan - was in the Welsh Regiment number 48482 and the Royal Irish Fusilisers number 27428. However there were some 137 Thomas Duncans according to the Medal Rolls. Unfortunately there are no obvious candidates in the service records

cj250406

thanks

he was definately tom duncan and not thomas

Procat

In that case Tom Duncan was awarded the Victory & British medals. There is no service record available for him. You need to be aware however that in a 1914 a Tom Duncan arrived in the U.K. having come from U.S.A. This man was born c 1886, a plasterer by trade and last country of permanent residence was U.S.A. It is possible that the medals relate to him.

cj250406

thanks

Geoffers

There is only one Tom Duncan - was in the Welsh Regiment number 48482 and the Royal Irish Fusilisers number 27428. However there were some 137 Thomas Duncans according to the Medal Rolls.
    There are also three recorded just as T DUNCAN:

Pte 6880 South Staffs
    Temp 2nd Lt HLI
    Sapper 158746 RE

Although he may have been just Tom DUNCAN, that might not stop an error in transcription so that he is recorded as Thomas.

Just to check, was he definitely army and not Royal Marines, Royal Navy or Royal Navy Division?

You might try the National Roll of the Great War - available on some pay-per-view sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast