Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    paulineshelley

Default Quinns Sq. Buildings, Waterloo Rd, Southwark

Does anyone out there have any memories of Quinns Buildings before they were demolished?
    Or any other memories of that area?
    Pauline

A fountain of knowledge

As discussed on another forum, my grandad, Charles Jones, lived there with his parents, Edward and Annie, and siblings Edward, Herbert and Rose.

They were showing there, at number 33 Quinns Square, on the 1901 and 1911 censuses and are still showing there on Edward Jr's WW1 service records into the early 1920s (Edward was sadly killed in 1915).

Edward Sr. was a hammerman/blacksmith, but died in 1909 I believe. I haven't worked out when Annie died yet, but know it was after 1936.

Prior to living in Quinns Square they lived in Peabody Buildings which I think was in the same sort of area. Edward Sr was from Shropshire and Annie was from Builth Wells. I'm not sure where they met but they married in London.

This is my grandad in the early 1940s with my uncle (they were living in Shepherds Bush by then though I think)

When were the buildings at Quinn Square demolished? My mum remembers walking down Waterloo Road with my grandad in the early 1980s, he was pointing out where they used to be so must have been before that.

paulineshelley

Hi Jane
    Thanks for the photo, typical of that time and I love the shoes of the photographer in the foreground. And judging by the smiles on the faces they were leading a much better life than Quinn Buildings. I have tried to find out when they were demolished, with no success, but maybe some kind reader will enlighten us. One family I remember well was Lil Strong and her daughter, Rachel. I don't remember the Jones in 33, but you can bet I did know them by sight. I told you my grandparents lived opposite - they were actually in Peabody Trust housing and their living room was over the row of shops facing Quinn's. Exactly opposite was a brush factory and they employed a number of blind people. And, of course, when I was a child the trams were still up and down the Waterloo Road and I was so frightened of getting my foot stuck in the tracks. My grandparents name was George and Rose Sims - your mum may remember them.
    Nice to talk and reminise with you Jane
    Pauline

jamesd

Hi Pauline,
    I was born in 1963 in Quinns Buildings, I went to school at St Patricks catholic school in waterloo, my older sister worked in a supermarket on the waterloo road ( I think it was called David Greggs or Craigs ) We were one of the last families to move out. We moved to Bermodsey in 1970 and Quinns buildings were demolished shortly after, so i reckon it was around 1970/71. We moved to Ireland in 1975.
    I went back to visit some of the old places.....ie schools,churchs,etc and where Quinns buildings used to be NOW stands London Ambulance HQ.
    Being so young at the time i still have a image of what it looked liked, I remember names of places like Peabody,Labeth Baths,Queens Buildings ect.
    I can still remember shops acroos the road from Quinns and some of the people, we lived in 146 Quinns Buildings for approx 3yrs and then got a transfer to 93 Quinns Buildings ( Not so many flights of stairs ) But i still remember a hard working and very nice community.
    Anyway i think i have gone on enough ........Hope this helps, Its nice to have a place to share memories. Regards Jamesd

paulineshelley

Hi James
    Please forgive my late reply to you - I have just returned from holiday.
    Lovely to hear from you - I am glad you have some nice memories of Quinns Buildings - in my opinion it should have been preserved and it would probably be very expensive flats by now.
    Fancy your sister working in David Greggs. I used to love going shopping in there with my grandmother. It was one of those magnificant shops all tiles and glass and you had to queue up at different counters for different things. The butter was patted into squares with wooden paddles - I wonder if your sister used to do that? I dare say you spent quite a bit of time in The Cut as I did myself and I couldn't believe it on my last visit to see the Pie and Mash Shop had gone - what were they thinking of.
    Next door to Greggs was the backstage entrance to The Old Vic where all the scenery was shifted in and out. My grandfather and my father both worked there until the war ended that.
    People were certainly nicer to each other in those days - don't you agree?
    All the very best Pauline

jamesd

Hi Pauline,

Yes i spent many the hour or 2 in the Cut, usually standing outside of the laundry shop hehehe and yes i used to pass by the old vic every day.....
    Do you remember a big car park across the road from David Greggs ???
    I wonder would anyone have some old pics of the area ???? OR where would i begin to look for some old pics ??
    Very nice to hear from you, thank you very much for the reply and i hope that you had a nice holiday.
    Regards
    James
    P.S YES people where certainly nicer to each other back then.

paulineshelley

Hi James

Yes I do remember the car park opposite Greggs, but I think it was called a bomb site in my days! LOL

I would certainly like to see some old pictures of that particular area - perhaps we will hear from someone.

Pauline

jamesd

Hi Pauline,

Lets hope so, I wonder would any of the news papers at the time have any pics of the demolition of Quinns Buildings ??

British Viking

Hi

I currently live in a Peabody Trust Housing Association flat in a different part of London. Seems they're recognisable elsewhere by the type of bricks and windows used (and still standing today). I recall asking the HA about the history of my building and got a nice letter back from somebody within ther HA - I think it was the History Section - not sure as it was a while ago. I may still have the letter somewhere. If I can find it I just thought they might have leads on the history of the buildings in Waterloo and let you kjnow the exact dept? Their HQ are at 45 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7JB Tel: 020 7021 4444. Just a thought

jamesd

Hi,

Thank you very much, this might get the ball rolling and its a great starting point for me. They might be worth a call or a email, have i live in Ireland now.
    Thanks so much for the reply
    Regards
    James

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast