Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Andre

Only just got round to lookin at 1911 census and found my Father was living at 1 Quinns Square as a 7 year old with his parents and younger sister. First time I had ever heard of it but he did mention "The Cut" and Peabody buildings although I never went to this area being brought up in Norfolk.
    Andre

7 block

Default quinns buildings

Quote Originally Posted by mickm View Post
    hi ithink its queens buildings at the borough.on the roof. you can see the train going over the viaducte? i went many time round the roof. to call on mates. i lived on top floor of caretakers block. and never saw any skylights.mick mc connell. p.s do i know you im 67 now. i new the strongs. buicks. smiths. pullens. cambells. and many more.
    hi mick do you remember me,Terry Campbell.

7 block

Alan my name is terry i think you may remember me you were part of the gang of the kids back in the 50s

Alsarw45

Hi Terry
    At this time I can't say that I remember you. However that is not unusual as
    Having just turned sixty eight. You say you lived on top of block the caretaker lived in. That would be four block. My email is alsarw45atyahoodotcom if you would like to email me I have a few bits and pieces of the bldgs. I will also send you my phone no so we can talk and perhaps turn up more memories.
    Best wishes

Alan

Default MOTHER

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
    Hi Pauline,
    I was born in 1963 in Quinns Buildings, I went to school at St Patricks catholic school in waterloo, my older sister worked in a supermarket on the waterloo road ( I think it was called David Greggs or Craigs ) We were one of the last families to move out. We moved to Bermodsey in 1970 and Quinns buildings were demolished shortly after, so i reckon it was around 1970/71. We moved to Ireland in 1975.
    I went back to visit some of the old places.....ie schools,churchs,etc and where Quinns buildings used to be NOW stands London Ambulance HQ.
    Being so young at the time i still have a image of what it looked liked, I remember names of places like Peabody,Labeth Baths,Queens Buildings ect.
    I can still remember shops acroos the road from Quinns and some of the people, we lived in 146 Quinns Buildings for approx 3yrs and then got a transfer to 93 Quinns Buildings ( Not so many flights of stairs ) But i still remember a hard working and very nice community.
    Anyway i think i have gone on enough ........Hope this helps, Its nice to have a place to share memories. Regards Jamesd
    Hello everyone on here i was wondering if you could be of help to me , does anyone on here remember a turkish family that lived in Quinn buildings i was born 1964 my name is Anthony my mothers name was Katherine Staples i am trying to trace my family she was irish that is all i know , if anyone can help me it would very much appreciatted , thankyou ....

Hello Anthony and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I am not quite sure yet how we are going to treat your post. It is definitely related to the Quinn's building thread but is asking about tracing your family, particularly your mother. Did you not live with your mother? This raises the question, is your mother still alive? If so then any information found by our members must be forwarded by our private message system. Click on the poster's avatar and choose private message from the drop down menu.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by paulineshelley View Post
    Hi Mick
    Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner. I do a lot of house sitting now and have just returned from a 'sit'. Being busy with that I have also not been on this site for ages.
    I certainly can't remember any skylights in Quinn Buildings or any in Queen's Buildings come to that. I will see what you directed me to on UTube as I would very much like to see that film.
    None of my family lived in Quinn Buildings. My grandmother lived over the shops in Waterloo Rd, but I did know Lil Strong and her daughter Ray who lived in Quinns - you say you knew the Strongs. The Buildings should not have been pulled down.
    Best wishes Pauline
    Lil Strong was my gran/Nan and Ray was my mum. I have vague memories of the buildings when a was a toddler but my older brother probably remembers more. Lil left us when I was around 12 and my mum Ray left us in 2015. Mum ended up being a major part of the South London community and now has a community hall named after her in John Ruskin Street. It was some send off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbF1YP1TOA&t=930s

brenda clarke

Default Lillian and Rachel

Hi Steve I have just gone back on this site .I remember your nan and mum I was born in the flat above them they use to look after and take me out they were friends with my dad alf/tick Clarke.I remember them taking me hop picking. Best wishes brenda

brenda clarke

Default Clarke family

does anyone remember the Clarke family there was mary olive Alfred Bert and there mum Mary .I lived thereto Brenda above Lillian strong and the Berwick family.

I have just joined the forum and I am wondering if anyone remembers or knows anything about Alfred R Hardwick (also known as Dick). According to his Army record, his last known address was 142 Quinn Square and he appears there on the electoral register from 1948 to 1951. He was born around 1900, so would have been around 50 when he was living there. I am interested because he is my grandfather and this address is the last information that we have about him.
    There is a Lilian M Strong who shows at the same address on the electoral register for these years and afterwards. I have seen this name on the forum but not sure if it would be the same one.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast