Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    paulineshelley

Hi British Viking

Pressed button too soon by mistake.
    Peabody Buildings were all solidly built and quite attractive in their style. I wouldn't mind living in one, especially now they probably all have central heating etc.
    Probably quite expensive to live in them nowadays I imagine.

I am planning a visit to the Borough History Library as soon as I can and they are sure to have loads of pictures. I went earlier this year and was very disappointed to find it was closed for refurbishment. I will check before starting out next time. I didn't waste my day though - I just wandered around Southwark and really enjoyed myself.
    Best wishes Pauline

paulineshelley

Hi James
    My computer playing up a bit - or am I blaming my tools!
    Just mentioned to British Viking my intention to visit Borough Library History Dept. I will see what I can find and let you know, but it may be a little while until I can get to London
    Best wishes Pauline

jamesd

Hi Pauline,
    Thank you very much.
    Regards
    Jimmy

redpataf

I was actually born in block 8 number 206 Quinns buildings in 1962. We moved out of there when I was about 8 or 9 years old and I can actually remeber them being demolished.

My dad used to work in the Fina garage that was out front in Waterloo road. Most of my uncles and auties also lived in quinns buildings at some point or other.

My family names are Lee, Redpath I als had a cousin who lived in the buildings called Jackie Sharp. I can also remember the Coal man who lived in my block who's name was Patsy Smith. The other familys I remeber were the McDonough's, (Micky, Ann, and Patsy). The Lowney's (Michael and kevin) and The Davies (Knowel, and Francis). Do you remember the the pole at the end of the bins where we would hang ropes of for a swing or the open Bins in the middle of the square. All my brothers and siter are older than me and they are Bernie, David and Vivian.

British Viking

Quote Originally Posted by paulineshelley View Post
    Hi James
    My computer playing up a bit - or am I blaming my tools!
    Just mentioned to British Viking my intention to visit Borough Library History Dept. I will see what I can find and let you know, but it may be a little while until I can get to London
    Best wishes Pauline
    Hi Pauline!

Did you eventually make the trip and what were you able to discover?

Cheers

BV

jamesd

Hiya, I remember a family called Lowney ! and the names Micheal and Kevin ring a bell and I do remember tha garage out front, and the ropes and bins...... Do you remember a Irish girl called Terri ???

redpataf

Default Terri?

James'd

Can't say I remember a girl called Terri. That might be an age difference between us. I am 48. Do you remember the Parafin man that used to come around with the tanker on the back of his truck and sell parafin by the galon for peoples parafin heaters?. How about Del's the newsagant that used to be across the road . There was also the Greek shop patalas's. The man that run that eventualy ran a sandwich bar at the top of the Lower Marsh.

Did you know before they knocked the buildings down they made a film in there?. It's called "O Lucky man" and stared Dandy Nichols (she also played Alf Garnets wife) and it also stared Malcolm McDowell. I have seen it and I have to say it is a very strange film. Of it's time I guess.

MarkJ

Please try to remember the forum Acceptable Use Policy states that the details of living persons must not be posted on the forum.
    I appreciate that a thread such as this one tends to bring up memories of friends and neighbours, but the AUP still applies and posts specifically mentioning living persons may be deleted without warning.

paulineshelley

Dear BV
    Forgive late reply. I am still away from home and we have had lots of trouble latching on to a wireless signal. I hope this is working now.
    I did manage to get to the Borough Library, all excited, but I was soon very disappointed.
    When I arrived I said to the guy on reception there "OK, what is new?". He looked at me a bit strange and I asked what was new after the year and a half refurbishment work. He said just the ceiling and walls have been painted, and sure enough, nothing has changed at all there. I should point out that the front library is lovely and a very pleasant place to be, but the history facility is a great let down.
    So, when I can manage it I think I will try to head for the National Archives.
    Regards Pauline

jamesd

Hiya,

I remember the parafin man ( and the heaters ) Also the shop across the road owned by the greek gentleman.

Never new about the film ( O lucky man ) I must see if i can get my hands on that.

This is great information and thank you very much........God it's a very small world that we live in !!!!!

Jamesd

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast