Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Rowledge family - originally Rickmansworth

Through an assortment of birth, baptism/christening, marriage and death certificates, I have traced my Grandmother, Florence Prsicilla Rowledge [my dad's mother] back 4 generations to her roots - Samuel Rowledge and Ann Woods. Samuel was born about 1770 and married Ann Woods in 1793 in Harefield MIddlesex [Pallot's Marriages]. Sam is indicated as from Rickmansworth, but Ann's details are not shown

I have found baptism records for 3 children. All were in 1810 or later. Robert, the one born in 1810, is Florence's G-G-Grandfather. His 2 brothers were Joseph born 1814 and David born 1816 [England and Wales Christening Records 1530-1906]
    Q. #1 - if these 3 are born of the mother, Ann who he married in 1793 then are there any other children born prior?

Q #2. Did the 1st Ann die and he married another Ann around 1808 and these 3 are from his 2nd marriage?

Robert died in 1880. He married Catharine Clay in the Parish of Pinner on April 8, 1832.They had a total of 10 children. John was the 7th child and was baptized July 25, 1841. He is Florence's G-Grandfather.

An older brother of Robert's was Alfred - baptized October 5,1834. Alfred married Emma George October 17, 1859 in Marylebone. A witness was a Charles Rowledge.

Very little is known about Charles. He died September 24 1875 and his age was 41. This would make him born about 1834. I cannot find him on the 1841, 1851 or 1861 census records. In 1871 he is on the census as aged 37 single, a Coachman living on Melcombe Mews, Marylebone and indicated born in Middlesex.

Q #3 - Can anyone identify this chap and tell me anything about him?

Thanks

Colin Rowledge

Too late to edit Alfred was the elder brother of John - not Robert.

Sorry.

pennydog

St Mary's Harefield (www.stmarys-harefield.com) has a very good website and an archivist - you may be able to get some info from him regarding the Samuel / Ann Wood marriage.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    St Mary's Harefield (www.stmarys-harefield.com) has a very good website and an archivist - you may be able to get some info from him regarding the Samuel / Ann Wood marriage.
    Thanks, Pennydog. Have emailed the archivist and am awaiting his response.

Cheers

Mutley

In 1861 there is a Charles Rowleye but it looks on the original as if it could be a 'g' rather than a 'y'.

He is a servant (coachman) unmarried at 28 years old and born St. George Hanover Square, Middx.

I cannot read the address, Mornington [something], Regents Park, St. Pancras.
    RG9/94/7/7 (Records copyright of TNA)

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    In 1861 there is a Charles Rowleye but it looks on the original as if it could be a 'g' rather than a 'y'.

He is a servant (coachman) unmarried at 28 years old and born St. George Hanover Square, Middx.

I cannot read the address, Mornington [something], Regents Park, St. Pancras.
    RG9/94/7/7 (Records copyright of TNA)
    Thanks, Mutley.

Could very well be my man as at the time of Alfred's wedding to Emma George, Alfred was a railway porter. He lived on Johnson Street and she lived on Westbourne Terrace both of which were in the Parish of St. Marylebone.

Cheers.
    Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Harefield marriages are on Ancestry's London Marriages database, surely?

Mutley

West Middlesex Marriage Index has both the marriages you mention but there is also one for Elizabeth Rowledge on 31 May 1830. It was at Fulham and she married Thomas Wager. There are no other details so I don't know if she is one of yours.

I cannot see another marriage for Samuel but thinking about your Samuel and Ann, it would be unusual for Sam to have married, had children, buried a wife and then married Ann all before he was 25!

Mutley

National Burial Index
    Rickmansworth, St. Mary the Virgin

Ann Rowledge buried 4 Feb 1841 age 68 (1773)
    David Rowledge buried 2 Oct 1849 age 6 (1843)
    Emma Rowledge buried 29 Sept age 12 (1837)
    Samuel Rowledge buried 22 Dec 1844 age 77 (1767)
    Thomas Rowledge buried 26 Feb 1837 age 32 (1805)
    William Rowledge buried 6 Aug 1817 age 18 (1799)
    William Rowledge buried 29 Sept 1849 age 16 (1833)

Colin Rowledge

Hi Mutley

Thanks for the "National Burial Index" site. I didn't know such a site existed on-line.

Ann Rowledge - February 4, 1841 aged 68 is pretty conclusively the Ann Woods that Samuel married in 1793. He therefore only had the one wife.
    David Rowledge - is a new one - I'll have to look into him
    Emma - I have her recorded. She is the daughter of Robert and Catharine nee Clay
    Samuel - husband of Ann - I have recorded.
    Thomas - is a new one - I'll have to look into him
    William - could be one of their earlier children - boirn 1799

Not sure about the William born in 1833 - the son of Robert and Catharine. My research has lead me to believe he was alive in 1851, but a servant at the household of William Fage [Sage] in Rickmansworth. This may not be the right one as next door to this family lived Robert and his wife. I'll look into this one.

Cheers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast