Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Colin try H0107 - 438 - 22/36 - 27 (crown copyright care of TNA) Church Row Rickmansworth
    Samuel Rolidge (as per FMP transcription) age 70 b1771
    Living with Mary age 72 and Thomas Turner age 79.
    Hope he is your man.

Sue
    Hi Sue
    Not sure how you managed to find him, but he seems right.

Viewing the original, it appears that he was a tailor - same as his son Robert. The age at death in 1844 is 77, so in 1841 he would have been 74, so the rounding down to age 70 is correct.

Not sure exactly where Church Row was in relation to the Town. No residence is listed for Robert and family on the census, so presumably Church Row was outside the Town limts.

Thanks very much for your help - I'd spent hours looking for him with all kinds of name variants on FMP and Ancestry but nothing came up.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Harefield marriages are on Ancestry's London Marriages database, surely?
    Hi Kerrywood
    Found the Banns for the marriage of Samuel and Ann that was performed November 15, 1793. It included the witnesses but not the names of the father's.

Still trying to find baptisms for:
    Samuel [1767] and Ann [1771] both probably in Rickmansworth to find parents of both.

Colin

pennydog

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Not sure how you managed to find him, but he seems right.
    Colin
    Colin - I just selected Samuel, no surname , his dob +/- 5 years, and Hertfordshire. A look down the list (I knew Rickmansworth could be Watford district) and there he was. A useful way of looking for someone (only really works if the name is not too common!).
    I would imagine Church Row would be close to the church - try looking at the original census pages to see what other addresses were on the enumerators round - you may find another street/road which still exists, so will give an idea where Church Row was. I think on Ancestry you can look at the enumerators route - will have a look for you.
    Sue

pennydog

Colin - have looked on 'Ancestry'. Church Row is in Rickmansworth district 2, the address prior to Church Row (which covers several pages) is Batchworth Bridge and after is Church Cottages then The Island.
    By the way your man is Samuel ROLITDE, no wonder you didn't find him!!
    Sue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Kerrywood
    Found the Banns for the marriage of Samuel and Ann that was performed November 15, 1793. It included the witnesses but not the names of the father's.
    It's a combined banns and marriage entry, indexed by Ancestry as 1893 instead of 1793.
    But in any case you wouldn't normally expect to find the fathers named before 1837.

Still trying to find baptisms for:
    Samuel [1767] and Ann [1771] both probably in Rickmansworth to find parents of both.
    The marriage register says Samuel was of Rickmansworth, but that doesn't mean he was born there -- just that he was resident in that parish when he married.

Anglican baptisms at Rickmansworth are all supposedly extracted to the IGI. Searching on Batch Number C072791 for just Samuel (without a surname) doesn't throw up a likely mistranscription of ROWLEDGE. There don't seem to be any ROWLEDGE events at all in that parish before the baptisms of two children of Samuel and Ann in the early 1800s. So perhaps your ROWLEDGE originated elsewhere?

You could try looking for Samuel's baptism in nearby parishes. Some of those on the Middlesex side of the county border are browsable (not searchable) in Ancestry's database London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 > Hillingdon. It would be a starting-point.

There's a baptism for Ann WOODS at Rickmansworth on 7 Apr 1771, daughter of Richard and Sarah. A possibility?

Colin Rowledge

Default 61 "Rowledge's" and still counting!!!

My 4X gt-Grandfather - Samuel - was born c. 1767 in Rickmansworth. I cannot locate a baptism or details on his parents. On November 15, 1793 in Harefield, Middlesex he married Ann Woods. Ann was also born in Rickmansworth c. 1771 and died in 1841, prior to the census.

Any help on tracing the ancestry of these 2 would be appreciated.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Hi Colin

I take it that you are referring to the Samuel ROWLEDGE buried 22.12.1844, Rickmansworth (found on FMP Parish Records Collection - burials).

The only Samuel near to that on the 1841 census that I can find is at HO107; Piece 438; Book/Folio 22/36; Page 27. Samuel ROLIDGE aged 70, at Church Row, Rickmansworth. Is this your man? If so, it says he was not born in County.

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

If this is your chap, then there is a possible Church christening on the FamilySearch Beta site. Samuel ROWLIDGE - christened 01.12.1766, Lawford, Warwick, England. Parents John ROWLIDGE and Frances.

I am absolutely useless at Geography , so don't know if the places are too far apart for it to be your chap.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jellylegs View Post
    Hi Colin

I take it that you are referring to the Samuel ROWLEDGE buried 22.12.1844, Rickmansworth (found on FMP Parish Records Collection - burials).

The only Samuel near to that on the 1841 census that I can find is at HO107; Piece 438; Book/Folio 22/36; Page 27. Samuel ROLIDGE aged 70, at Church Row, Rickmansworth. Is this your man? If so, it says he was not born in County.

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)
    I am

Ann's death cert. attests to her as the spouse of Samuel and she died in Rickmansworth February 1841 and was buried there on February 4 1841.

All 8 of their known kids [between 1799 and 1819] were born in Rickmansworth. Secretly, I was hoping he was from Rickmansworth, but he could be from anywhere

Brick wall demolition expert!

Colin, here is a link to your previous thread on Samuel ROWLEDGE and Ann WOODS. I've posted the link as this may be helpful to forum members and they can aid you more effectively in your quest.

Edit: Removed link since I have now merged the two threads.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast