Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by thesearcher View Post
    I am not sure if he did marry, but I found a Grace Holmes on the same incoming passenger list as one of Frederick's sisters coming back from Canada, so I wondered if they had travelled together after Frederick died or something. Maybe it was just a coincidence. Frederick was still single at 50 when he signed up for the War, so it is unlikely his wife would be 29 but ot impossible I suppose. Where do you suggest I go from here.
    Interesting that Grace and Maysel are each listed as housewife, permanent resident Canada, also that Maysel is listed under her maiden name, Holmes, if in fact she was married. A**on board lists Holmes Maysel J on a 1949 sailing from Liverpool to Montreal. I have not accessed details.

It certainly would be interesting to know their Canadian resident addresses, including that for Frederick on his return on the hospital ship.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    This looks like your man on this Farndale family website:

https://www.farndale.info/Main%20Fold...le%201893-.htm
    What an interesting bit of Canadian history! I too would like to know what magic key words Adele used leading to "Howard Holmes" (without his first name).

thesearcher

HOW ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC OF YOU!! A PHOTO AS WELL. Cant tell you how thrilled I am. the rest of my family will be amazed, we've never seen a photo of him, and so great to see a picture of his wife. Thank you.
    I love this forum.

thesearcher

Indeed, fantastic to see a photo of him. None exist in our family as far as I know. What a great forum this is. Thanks to everyone who has looked up something for me, I am thrilled as you rightly said.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I was so pleased to find this website for you! I googled using three words: Holmes Huxley Alberta. I wish the search for some of my disappearing twigs netted this kind of information.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    I was so pleased to find this website for you! I googled using three words: Holmes Huxley Alberta. I wish the search for some of my disappearing twigs netted this kind of information.
    Now why didn't I think about that, being a confirmed google addict? But then I wouldn't have had the fun of browsing through other bits of Canadian and British history. Now I know where Huxley is.

thecouch

Wink

Such a 'cool' way to show how the B-G Forum 'global village' comes to the genealogical need of others in amazing ways!

thecouch

Mary Anne

You can order his entire service file from Library and Archives Canada and it may give you more clues. There is usually lots of additional information like where he sent his pay, what address for next-of-kin, of course all about his wounds, where he was demobbed and where he went home to. Go to where you found his Attestation Paper and at the top right you will see a link "How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file" that will take you to the instructions for ordering by mail. All done by credit card, and they will post it to you directly. Usually costs about 12 pounds all in.

thesearcher

Thats very helpful, thank you. I got his attestation paper via the A*****website tho'. Can you give me a link to the Canadian archive that you are referring to?

Mary Anne

thesearcher

Oh, sorry. Then you need to go to collectionscanada (that's the Library and Archives Canada website). Google it, and it will be the first site on the list. Then go to Canadian Genealogical Centre > Military > First World War and type in his details and it will take you to his Attestation Paper. That's where you'll find the link "How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file" that will take you to the instructions for ordering by mail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast