Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canal workers

Felix1000

Default Canal people

Many working on the canals were known as wharfingers, The main Canal system from Nottingham to Manchester went through Whaley Bridge,Droylsden and Ashton Under lyne. My own Cutts family left the canals and went to work on the Railways in the 1850 period.Also with regards to the trade directories both fmailies in my wifes line IE Wheatcroft and Cutts had their own business and ran from their own wharfes in Nottingham and Manchester.This enabled me get photos of their original homes.

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Felix1000 View Post
    Many working on the canals were known as wharfingers.
    Agreed.

Although I think it would not be unreasonable to say that that is clearly not just a canal based occupation, and that the majority of people in a census having that occupation would be employed at locations that are not canal locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix1000 View Post
    The main Canal system from Nottingham to Manchester went through Whaley Bridge,Droylsden and Ashton Under lyne
    This probably sounds like I'm being a bit 'picky', but I don't think crews going from Nottingham to Manchester would have naturally travelled to Whaley Bridge. It sat at the end of the Peak Forest Canal, a branch from the main route, and was not on a through route as such.

It's the kind of place that would have had 'wharfingers', as it was an interchange point with rail transport.

Finally, thanks for the explanation as to why trade directories were useful for your family.

Best wishes,

Alan

ann.pitts

were there separate census taken for canal boatmen
    ann

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by ann.pitts View Post
    were there separate census taken for canal boatmen
    ann
    No,

If they appear in a census, they do so in just the same way as anybody else, except obviously their address is enumerated as being the boat they are on, rather than in a house.

Unlike seagoing vessels, they are not recorded on different forms from land based people. They sit in districts, alongside "normal folk", and are generally found in the final pages for the district.

It's incredibly hit and miss whether any census captures live-aboard canal families, or not. I believe that as the censuses progressed more emphasis was placed on trying to record them but the success rate was never good.

If your particular families happened to be on wharf at a fairly major location, then you'll probably find them. If they were on the move, on a long distance run, my experience is that you will not.

I'd say if they were genuine liveaboards, who never had a land address, your chances of finding them in a census are generally no better than 50%

Alan

DONNAMCKENZIE

My Dad lived on Ashton street as a boy. I don't live that far away now. What was the address you were looking for . Alot of the old terraced houses ar still standing on Astley street. These houses backed straight on to the canal and the railway was on the opposite side. If you have an address I could seee if the house was still standing and take a photo for you.

regards Donna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12