sonjabuk

Default Hughina Colquhoun Campbell and Flora Campbell

Hi all

Im new to the Canadian section having just found out where my Great Aunts disappeared to!

My have the Campbell family going back to the 1790s in and around Glasgow/Torosay and Oban area.

One side of the family McDonald did come over to Canada - but its not them in particularly interested at the moment.

Hughina Flora Campbell 1903 Glasgow - in 1927 I have her on the Letticia coming back from Quebec. So have spent loads of time looking for when she WENT. Hit gold last night and found her in 1924 on the Regina - but suprise suprise she is going to join her sister FLORA 1888 Glasgow -

Address listed as 67 Redpath Street Montreal.

So - more searching when did Flora go? Answer 1923 on the Saturnia - with destination address of 3808 Manse Street Montreal residence of a Mr Herbert Swinton (Swanton/Serinton) a friend.

No idea of this gentlemans origins, not what sort of friend he was. They certainely did not marry before 1930 as i have Flora back in Glasgow at the Wedding of another sister.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

By what I read on the forms for Hughina (Ina) she intended to go back.

Sonja

Brick wall demolition expert!

Herbert Swinton's arrival in Canada is documented on an immigration record, Form 30A, arriving in Montreal on June 23, 1922 on the Montclare. (Ancestry.com database - Canada, Ocean Arrivals).

He is 22, born Cellardyke Scotland, a baker, and is going to join his brothers. His contact on arrival is his brother W. Robert Swinton, 2663 Manse Street, Montreal. His nearest relative in country from which he came is father Thomas Swinton, Invercarron Cottage, Stonehaven, N. B.

--------------------------

Parish register entry for the Presbyterian church of St Andrew and St Paul in Montreal (Ancestry.com Drouin parish register collection):

At the Church of St Andrew and St Paul on the seventh day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and twenty five ?after? dispensation of license both parties being of legal age, Charles Swinton bachelor, baker, of St Laurent P. Q., son of Thomas Swinton and of Harriet Stuart his wife, and Catherine Brown Campbell, spinster of Montreal, daughter of Hugh Campbell and of Annie Brown his wife, were married.

Parties: Charles Swinton, Catherine B Campbell
    Witnesses: Herbert Swinton, Ina Campbell
    George H Donald, officiating minister

Are these some of your Campbells?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I found the Campbells on the 1901 census of Scotland. Catherine Campbell appears to be the sister of Flora Campbell.

--------

At the same church on 2 October 1929, Herbert Kitchener Swinton, bachelor, baker, son of Thomas Swinton & Harriet Stewart, married Mary Jane Wakeley(?) Hewitt, daughter of Charles Hewitt & Emily Simmons. Bride & groom were both residents of Verdun.

The witnesses were James C Hewitt & Ina Campbell.

So Hughina Campbell was back in Montreal in 1929 and unmarried.

sonjabuk

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Herbert Swinton's arrival in Canada is documented on an immigration record, Form 30A, arriving in Montreal on June 23, 1922 on the Montclare. (Ancestry.com database - Canada, Ocean Arrivals).

He is 22, born Cellardyke Scotland, a baker, and is going to join his brothers. His contact on arrival is his brother W. Robert Swinton, 2663 Manse Street, Montreal. His nearest relative in country from which he came is father Thomas Swinton, Invercarron Cottage, Stonehaven, N. B.

--------------------------

Parish register entry for the Presbyterian church of St Andrew and St Paul in Montreal (Ancestry.com Drouin parish register collection):

At the Church of St Andrew and St Paul on the seventh day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and twenty five ?after? dispensation of license both parties being of legal age, Charles Swinton bachelor, baker, of St Laurent P. Q., son of Thomas Swinton and of Harriet Stuart his wife, and Catherine Brown Campbell, spinster of Montreal, daughter of Hugh Campbell and of Annie Brown his wife, were married.

Parties: Charles Swinton, Catherine B Campbell
    Witnesses: Herbert Swinton, Ina Campbell
    George H Donald, officiating minister

Are these some of your Campbells?
    FABULOUS!!!! Thats my family.

Wow! I so pleased to have a definate lead now.

What next? Can anyone advise?

Wonder if they had children?

Im desperate to find a photo of their brother John - who died in WW1. No one in my side of the family seems to know if any excist.

Many many thanks Adele.

Sonja

bibliojunkie

Hi Sonja. You say 'their brother' but I am confused as to which folk you refer. What is John's surname? Do you have any details of his age, regiment and year of death?

Ali

sonjabuk

Quote Originally Posted by bibliojunkie View Post
    Hi Sonja. You say 'their brother' but I am confused as to which folk you refer. What is John's surname? Do you have any details of his age, regiment and year of death?

Ali
    John Colquhoun Campbell - died 1916 - due to injuries received on the Somme Battlefield. He left a Widow Elizabeth Ellen Owens (Liverpool) and a child Hughina Flora Margaret Campbell 1915 - 1986 - My Grandma.

He was in the 2nd Gordon Highlanders. Number 9154.

I have all his service records - quite a stack of them as his wife made a bit of a nuisance of herself in her pursuit of his medals and pension!!
    This is the photo that would be the icing on the cake - well next to a living relative of his sisters.

Have found that Catherine and Charles returned to Glasgow in 1927 - to the family home in Partick.

Next step i guess would be to see if Hughina married in Canada. Something or someone kept her coming back.

Regards
    Sonja