Knowledgeable and helpful

Default SAUNDERS - Baker/Confectioner - Rhondda

From some time around 1912 onwards my grandfather, Frederick Saunders, had his own bakery/confectionery business somewhere in the Rhondda. I know he was living in Penrhiwfer, near Penygraig in 1914. Later, in the mid 1920s I think his business failed and he moved with his family into Cardiff - possibibly the Landaff area - before moving to Devon.

Can anyone suggest where I might find out more about this period in my family's history? Thanks

Jan1954

Local directories could be a place to start such as Kellys, the Post Office etc. I would have thought that he would have had a telephone, being a business, so telephone directories could also help. Then electoral rolls may also assist in tracking his movements.

Thanks, Jan.

My next challenge is to establish where and how I may obtain access to any of the records you suggest. I have contacted RCT Library Services in the hope that they may have some pointers.

Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thanks,Sue.

Once I can establish in which part of the Rhondda he was trading it should make it easier to focus my efforts. As I shall have to do much of my research at a distance, the more specific I can be, the greater are my chances that the Archives will be willing to assist.

Jan1954

I wonder if this or this might help? Although 1923, the details are usually gathered the year before, so 1922. It may be that, if his business did not fail until the mid 1920s, he could be on them.

Again Jan, many thanks.

I am having to rely on vaguely remembered anecdotes recounted by my mother before I left home almost 50 years ago. Unfortunately, when their parents died, her brother destroyed almost all family photographs and memorabilia, so I have very little to work from. I believe that after the business folded in the Rhondda the family moved to Cardiff, but I do not know if my grandfather started up again on his own or found employment in the hotel/catering trade. I do not think they returned to Devon until near 1930, so the directories you suggest could very well have relevant information.

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you think the failure of the business may have been a bankruptcy, as opposed to the sale of a failing business, then the bankruptcy may be recorded in the London Gazette, available online.

You could try typing his name into the "exact phrase" search box and specify a time period, to see if you can find any record of him there.

Thanks, Adele,

I will check that out but my instinct is that he just gave up the struggle in a difficult trading environment.