I am looking for Gabriel Pickford, born in Frome c.1778. He was a sawyer by trade, but joined the army in 1796, first the Somerset Militia, and then the 3rd Foot Guards, serving in Spain and Portugal during the Napoleonic Peninsular Wars. He died in the period 1814-1818.

On a recent visit to Somerset Archives I found Gabriel, son of John and Mary baptised in 1780. He was the only Gabriel Pickford (Pickfatt) I could find in the Frome (St. John the Baptist) baptism records in the period 1759 -1812, and I was pretty confident that this was him. I also found Gabriel's marriage to Amelia (spelt Remalia), as anticipated, in Frome in 1802. However, when I got onto the burials I found 'Gaberel' Pickford, son of John, buried in 1793 - so there was obviously more than one Gabriel, although there is only one baptism recorded. My Gabriel definitely gave Frome as his birthplace on his army discharge document, so I'm uncertain whether this baptism is him or not - although I suppose that either he or the other Gabriel could have been born and baptised in one of the other parishes in Frome Hundred or the surrounding Wiltshire parishes.

There seem to have been Pickfatts or Pickfords in several neighbouring Wiltshire parishes, including Warminster.

I wonder if anyone else is researching this part of the family, as I'd be very grateful for any help in unravelling the different strands of Pickfords.

Yours hopefully, Anne Johnson