Martinwwhite

Default White and Field families, Langport Somerset.

Hi,

I'm researching my family who, on my dad's side, was in Langport Somerset.

My father was Alan White, 1924-2003
    His parents William White 1899-1938 and Alice Maud Field 1900-1935.
    William's parents Thomas White 1851-1916 and Elizabeth Bryant 1858-1931
    Maud's parents Frederick Field 1866-1930 and Annie Salway 1870-1935

I know Fred worked for Kelways but I don't know any more than that.

I don't know what William did. I suspect he worked for the railway, but I am not sure. I have a thread in Railwaymen to help with this.

Thanks,

Martin

Hello Martin

Can you tell us just what information you are looking for? Do you have census records back to 1841 for these families? Are you looking to go back beyond 1841 using pariah records etc? If we know what data you have and what it is you are looking for it will stop us replicating what you already have.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Background to the White family in 1911 for anyone wanting to help
    Thomas White 60, Cooper for a brewery, working on own account. born Somerton Somerset
    Elizabeth White 53 has laundry woman which is crossed out, born Kingston Somerset
    Charles Cyril White 14 school, Langport
    William White 11 school Langport

Thomas and Elizabeth married 32 years, have had 9 children, 3 have died.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Just doing some general searching and it seems Alice Maud was not born until 1904 (in the 1911 census she is Maud age 6)
    Births December 1/4 1904
    Alice Maud Field
    Langport vol 5c page 302

Her father Fred is a nursery foreman and I think he may have been previously married as Annie says they have been married 12 years and have 4 children of the marriage but there are 5 children down, with Olive age 16 the eldest so was she the daughter of another mother? Her birth reg is on FreeBMD Olive Ella Field 1894.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Martinwwhite

Hi,

Thanks Christina. I have some information from the available census information. I know that Thomas was in the workhouse when he was a child, although I don't know how or why. Thomas' grandfather, Ignatius, was also a cooper of some standing in the community.

To be honest, I'm after as much information as I can find about them, beyond what's in the Census. I'm particularly interested in what William did for a living. I don't have any birth or marriage certificates which would help.

Thanks,

Martin

Martinwwhite

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Just doing some general searching and it seems Alice Maud was not born until 1904 (in the 1911 census she is Maud age 6)
    Births December 1/4 1904
    Alice Maud Field
    Langport vol 5c page 302

Her father Fred is a nursery foreman and I think he may have been previously married as Annie says they have been married 12 years and have 4 children of the marriage but there are 5 children down, with Olive age 16 the eldest so was she the daughter of another mother? Her birth reg is on FreeBMD Olive Ella Field 1894.

Christina
    You're quite right about all of the above. I got Maud's date of birth wrong. Also Fred's first wife died in 1897.

I knew Fred worked at Kelways, the local nursery. I'd be interested to see if there was any more information. I'm in touch with their historian.