Thread: manuel/emmanuel

a.r.hughes

Default manuel/emmanuel

has anybody any ifo manuel/emmanuel family 1800/1900 in glamorgan please

Try Pembrey with some moving to Maesteg about 1850

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by a.r.hughes View Post
    has anybody any ifo manuel/emmanuel family 1800/1900 in glamorgan please
    What sort of information are you looking for?

Simply searching for Manuel / Emmanuel families in Glamorgan produces a huge number of hits.

Are there specific individuals you are looking for?

a.r.hughes

Default manual /emmanual

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    What sort of information are you looking for?

Simply searching for Manuel / Emmanuel families in Glamorgan produces a huge number of hits.

Are there specific individuals you are looking for?
    hi megan many thanks info . i am looking for owen manual /emmanual parents he was born 1805 in maentwrog and died 1878 same could you please help as i have looked to no avail.
    regards tony.

Allan F Sparrow

I may be way off the mark in this, but the only Maentwrog I know is in Gwynedd, not Glamorgan: it's in the Vale of Ffestiniog, ENE of Porthmadoc. But many people from other parts of Wales moved to Glamorgan in the 19th century, including many of my own ancestors.

Allan F Sparrow

FamilySearch has five entries for Owen Manuel, born 1800-1810 in Maentwrog - and they all seem to refer to the same man. There are census references for 1841 to 1871, and the death registration at Ffestiniog in 1878. Searching for Emmanuel gives the same results. But no obvious Glamorgan connection.

His wife was Jane, and children included Mary, Elizabeth, Edward, Morris, Jane and Gwen.

The 1878 death registration was first quarter, and his age was 73.

Further information:
    Using a subscription site, I found this marriage: Owen Manuel married Jane Jones at Landecwyn, Merionethshire, on 8th August 1835.

Oddly, I also found this burial: Owen Manuel, born 1804, died 1877, buried 22nd February 1877 at Penrhyndeudraeth (which is just a few miles from Maentwrog). It looks as if somebody was on the wrong calendar, or keeping up the old-style starting point for the year.
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 01-02-2016 at 8:59 AM. Reason: Addition

Starting to feel at home

The burial was 22 Feb 1878 - the transcription is incorrect. The burial at the top of the page is for December 1877 the next is in January which would be 1878.

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by lewisbeels View Post
    The burial was 22 Feb 1878 - the transcription is incorrect. The burial at the top of the page is for December 1877 the next is in January which would be 1878.
    Thanks for the clarification, which shows the importance of inspecting the original. I was just trying to indicate what information was easily available from a free site. We do not yet know if this is the OP's family member.

Allan F Sparrow

I've been looking into this a little further, but I have no information on Owen Manuel's parentage.

Also I have realised that the 1871 census which I mentioned refers to a different Owen Manuel and his family, living in Carmarthenshire: and he was born about 1804, i.e. about the same time as the one in Merionethshire.

It seems to me rather likely that Maentwrog and Merionethshire are red herrings as far as the OP is concerned.

Post number 2 in this thread is probably more valuable than my meanderings, as Carmarthenshire is close to Glamorgan, and movement between these shires was by no means uncommon in the 19th century.

thewideeyedowl

Default Bishop's Transcripts, Maentwrog, 1766-71

There are four mentions of 'Manuel' as a surname in this transcription from the Maentwrog Bishop's Transcripts covering 1766-71:
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER...Ts/1766#BT1771

Two of these are for an Owen Manuel. However, these names are for the generation before your man. Plus, of course, it can be dangerous picking a matching name from a list and assuming that it is your man. You need to find other evidence and then link (or fail to link!) the references.

Off to roost.

Owl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast