gunslinger

Default Terry of Blackpool (Lancashire)

Searching Frances TERRY, born in Blackpool in 1853 (possibly December). Migrated to South Africa prior to her marriage in 1873. Unsure whether accompanied by parents.

Jan1954

Hello gunslinger - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Just to back up a bit, what is your source for Frances TERRY? The only birth registration that I can find is one in the December quarter of 1852 in Liverpool, rather than Blackpool. (Volume 8b, page 75 = GRO reference)

gunslinger

Hi Jan1954, thanks for your reply. The date and place I have given may not be accurate, I have taken them from a family album which was compiled in the 1940s by a distant relative. Because of the close proximity of Blackpool and Liverpool, the person you mention may very well be her. Do you have access to the family history for this Frances Terry from Liverpool?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Do you have access to the family history for this Frances Terry from Liverpool?
    Sorry, no. I obtained the details that I did from FreeBMD.org.uk as I do like to double-check. It also helps other members to home in on the right person before they search.

Next step should be to see if you can find her in the censuses between when she was born and when she emigrated. So, 1861 and 1871 are next on your list to search - with a double-check of 1881, just in case the emigration date of 1873 is not quite right.

If you have an idea of who Frances' parents were, it would be a good idea to obtain a copy of the birth certificate that I mentioned to check that it is the right one. The references that I provided should help you and they can be obtained from the GRO (click here) for the princely sum of £9.25.

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello gunslinger - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Just to back up a bit, what is your source for Frances TERRY? The only birth registration that I can find is one in the December quarter of 1852 in Liverpool, rather than Blackpool. (Volume 8b, page 75 = GRO reference)
    This one maybe?

Frances Terry, Female
    baptism/christening date:14 May 1863, St. Stephen's, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    birth date: 29 Aug 1852
    Father: James Terry, Mother: Elizabeth Terry
    indexing project (batch) number:C03187-9, source film number:1656677