Mary Anne

Default Help with 1911 Cdn Census Occupation

Hello, everyone

I need some help form the good folks who can read execrable handwriting and a French translation:

I have a William James Sharpe in St. Louis Ward, Québec City (p. 6, family 64). His occupation looks to me like "mech. poterie" and the place of work like "Thos & Co. Ltd."

Does anyone know French terminology used for occupations who could tell me what this one is??

In other censuses (censiii?) this gent was a clerk, an accountant and a travelling salesman. What did he do in 1911??

Thanks in advance

Mary Anne

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Could he be a merchant in pottery? no? I have no French & mech. sounds like mechanic, oh heck, I just 'googled 'mech. sorry I did that.
    Best wait for someone who knows what they're doing! Sorry.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jan1954

Crikey, Mary Anne! That is one doozie of a census! Some of these enumerators deserved to have been shot!

It looks like "something poterie" to me as well. However, I am not 100% convinced about the first word. Poterie is pottery in English, but it would seem strange for your chap to change occupations so drastically from clerical/sales work into mechanics.

Any chance of laying your eyes on any directories of the day to suss out the company for whom he worked? That may provide a clue.

Edit: Just seen Waitabit's reply and "merchant" does seem more plausible.

Mary Anne

Thanks, folks

Since I posted this, I have actually been doing some more delving (sorry, even tho we seem to have lots of LOVELY new smileys, there doesn't seem to be one with shovel....)

and... I find the baptism of his youngest child, which was just January before the June of the census, and his occupation is listed as "merchant" so I think Waitabit wins the Gold Star . Some day I will check the directories and I bet there's a Thomson or Thomas (or something) company that sells china.

Darn, these enumerators who filled in the census in a mixture of French and English drive me mad (even if that is the way we all used to talk at uni)

Thanks all for your attempts

Mary Anne

Ancestry have him indexed as William Jane . Presumably the first word is meant to be an abbreviation for merchant? I'd certainly go with pottery merchant.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids