JeanCochrane

Default David Cochrane death record 1871-1881

My husband's ancestor David Cochrane was born in Edinburgh in 1819 and married Jane Allen in 1843 in Kent, England. They lived mostly in England but also for a few years in Canada. He was a Corporal in the Artillery at time of marriage. Back to England but are in Scotland in the 1871 Census - Edinburgh, St Andrew, Midlothian - occupation of Pensioner Teacher of Gymante (whatever that is). He does not appear in the 1881 Scotland Census but his wife and some children are there. I assume he died between 1871 and 1881 but haven't been able to find death record.

I do not at this time have subscripton to Scotland census. Any help to confirm date of death for David Cochrane would be appreciated.

Wilkes_ml

Hi.

The Scotlands people website is a pay per view site, and not a subscription site. The Birth marriage and death indexes are free to search, but cost one credit to see the list of hits, and 5 credits to view and download an original copy of the actual entry in the register. I believe it is £6 for 30 credits. The actual Scottish census are also available at Scotlands People - again the index is free to search.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Jean

Looking at the free death index on SP - I cannot spot his death so far.

There is a death of a David Cochrane b1817 in Collessie Fife in 1880 but he seems also to be on the 1871 census so prob not your David. Also a death in Perth in 1883 of a David b 1818 but he too seems to be in the 1871 census.

There is a death in England - Stockton reg dist in 1875 Jun Q of a David Cochrane age 57.

Was his wife recorded as a widow in 1881?

Mary Young

Hello, Jean
    Jane Cochrane was a Widow in 1881 (I have the 1881 on CDs which show more detail).

JeanCochrane

Thank you for the information that Jane Cochrane was a widow in 1881 as I did not save the census copy and had only recorded that David Cochrane was not on the census that year.

I had used the Scotland people website and should have remembered that it is a pay per view site. I guess my best bet now would be to see if I can find his death record on that site.

Thanks everyone. What an amazing group of readers to this site that are so willing to help others.