Mark Humphreys

Smile John Leece Moore Married to Ellen Jane Stiven

John leece Moore Married Ellen Stiven at Lawrence in 1884 we are trying to track any info on the family of these 2 individuals, Especially Ellen Stiven whom we believe to be of Scottish Descent.
    Also trying to Track any Family of Violet Glen 1889 - 1960 The Glen History is a little sketchy as to a arrival into Otago. Possible Father John Glen whose family were Printers we think.
    Any help muchly appreciated.

A fountain of knowledge

Quick search of BDM online https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz
    born 1889 Glen Violet (mother) Isabella (father) John
    married 1921 Violet Glen m William Francis Moore
    died 1960 Moore Violet 71Y
    without a middle name you cannot be sure that this is your person without ordering the certificate.
    You do not say what Violets relationship is, I assume daughter?
    Could Ellen have died and William remarried?
    Could not find a marriage for John & Ellen.

Any further hints??

John and Ellen do not appear in the death index.

Mark Humphreys

Hi Chisel,
    We found a notice of his death on here https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz, And we found a marriage to Ellen Jane Stiven in Papers Past but we are trying to trace Ellens family back more so than Johns, as we have his tree back to the isle of man, And for the life of us we cannot find a father to John Glen that we can be sure of. He is the father of Violet Glen. They lived in Roslyn Dunedin for many a year. We could get the certificates from BMD but we are trying to do as much first with forking out to many dollars. But in saying that it maybe the only possible way.
    Thanks again for your help.

Mark Humphreys

Hi Chisel, Violet is my wifes grandmother, Violets Father was John Glen but we are stuck trying to find who his father is, He married Isabella Farquharson. spent most of their lives around Roslyn Dunedin from what we can figure. We found a record of Ellen Jane Stivens marriage to John Leece Moore in Lawrence in papers past. but we dont know who her father is or where they originate from. We can see that it is still a very popular name around central Otago.So our thoughts were maybe some one is also doing their tree as well and might be able to help.

A fountain of knowledge

I would suggest forking out for at least 1 certificate. These are only 20-25 $NZ so with the exchange rate almost free
    At least with a death cert, both of his parents will be named if known, including how long he was in NZ.
    Shipping list searches are a pain to search in NZ as you need to search each individaul ship.
    good luck- I'm out of idea's other than Dunedin is/was full of Scots.

ps. at present BDM turn around of about a week.

BonnieLynn

Default Stiven Line

First, Stiven line:

Descendants of Thomas Stiven

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS1 STIVEN was born Abt. 1826 in Scotland, and died 1920 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand. He married MARION PATTERSON 1858 in Victoria, Australia. She was born Abt. 1838, and died 1928 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand. Occupation was farmer.

Notes for THOMAS STIVEN:
    Two Stiven brothers, Thomas and Jonathan, came to New Zealand from Australia. Jonathan arrived at Port Chalmers on the ship Aldinga, which departed Melbourne on 7 Feb 1863. His age was 32 and he was single. Not sure when Thomas came over, but probably also 1863.

In January 1861 the Argus Newspaper (Melbourne, Victoria, AU) announced the birth of of his son, Peter Reid Stiven: STIVEN.—On the 22nd inst., at Victoria-street, Mrs. Thomas Stiven of a son.

Thomas and Jonathan Stiven first appear in New Zealand records on the 1865 electoral rolls for Otago. The family first lived in the Caversham/Dunedin area and in 1884 moved to Lawrence, and later to Tapanui. The first Stiven born in New Zealand was Alfred James Stiven born in 1867 who lived in Tapanui and grew up to be a butcher.

It appears that Jonathan Stiven didn't stay in New Zealand. No children are born to he and Jemina and no burial records were found.

More About MARION PATTERSON: Burial: 1928, Tapanui Cemetery

Children of THOMAS STIVEN and MARION PATTERSON are:
    i. PETER REID2 STIVEN, b. 22 Jan 1861, Victoria, Australia; d. 1946, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand; m. SHRIMPTON, 1927, New Zealand.
    2. ii. ALEXANDER PATTERSON STIVEN, b. Abt. 1862; d. 1926, Otago, New Zealand.
    iii. ANN CAIRNCROSS STIVEN, b. 1863, Victoria, Australia; d. 1931, New Zealand; m. SAMUEL BUSHELL, 1881, New Zealand.
    3. iv. ALFRED JAMES STIVEN, b. 1867, New Zealand; d. 1929, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    4. v. WALTER EDWARD STIVEN, b. 1869, New Zealand; d. 1956, New Zealand.
    5. vi. WILLIAM REID STIVEN, b. 18 Oct 1871, New Zealand; d. 1934, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    6. vii. ELLEN JANE STIVEN, b. Abt. 1872, New Zealand; d. 1937, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    viii. THOMAS STIVEN, b. 24 Jun 1874, New Zealand; d. 1949, New Zealand.
    ix. JOHN STIVEN, b. 18 Mar 1876, New Zealand.
    7. x. ROBERT BERTY STIVEN, b. 20 Jul 1879, New Zealand; d. 1930, Southland, New Zealand.
    xi. LILLIAN STIVEN, b. 1881, New Zealand; d. 1942, New Zealand; m. WILLIAM HOUGHTON HENRY CLABBURN, 1906, New Zealand.
    xii. MARIAN STIVEN, b. 1881, New Zealand; d. 1900, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.

Generation No. 2

2. ALEXANDER PATTERSON2 STIVEN (THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1862, and died 1926 in Otago, New Zealand. He married JANE HALLIDAY 1892 in New Zealand.

Child of ALEXANDER STIVEN and JANE HALLIDAY is:
    i. MARION JANE3 STIVEN, b. 1895, New Zealand.

3. ALFRED JAMES2 STIVEN (THOMAS1) was born 1867 in New Zealand, and died 1929 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand. He married ISABELLA LINDSAY MCPHERSON 1903 in New Zealand.

Child of ALFRED STIVEN and ISABELLA MCPHERSON is:
    i. ALEXANDER JAMES3 STIVEN, b. 1903, New Zealand.

4. WALTER EDWARD2 STIVEN (THOMAS1) was born 1869 in New Zealand, and died 1956 in New Zealand. He married MARY BISHOP 1898 in New Zealand. She died 1944 in New Zealand.

Children of WALTER STIVEN and MARY BISHOP are:
    i. PETER REID3 STIVEN, b. 1898, New Zealand.
    ii. ALFRED FRENCH KIMBERLEY STIVEN, b. 1900, New Zealand.
    iii. FRANCIS WALTER STIVEN, b. 1902, New Zealand.
    iv. JAMES EARL STIVEN, b. 1904, New Zealand.
    v. THOMAS ERIC STIVEN, b. 1906, New Zealand.
    vi. MARY STIVEN, b. 1907, New Zealand.

5. WILLIAM REID2 STIVEN (THOMAS1) was born 18 Oct 1871 in New Zealand, and died 1934 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand. He married ISABELLA EDWARDS 1896 in New Zealand.

Children of WILLIAM STIVEN and ISABELLA EDWARDS are:
    i. ANNIE ISABELLA3 STIVEN, b. 1896, New Zealand.
    ii. ROBERT BERTIE STIVEN, b. 1902, New Zealand.
    iii. THOMAS EDWARDS STIVEN, b. 1905, New Zealand.
    iv. MARION STIVEN, b. 1900, New Zealand.

6. ELLEN JANE2 STIVEN (THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1872 in New Zealand, and died 1937 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand. She married JOHN LEECE MOORE 1884 in Lawrence, New Zealand. He was born Abt. 1850 in Scotland?, and died 1923 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.

Children of ELLEN STIVEN and JOHN MOORE are:
    8. i. MARION ESTHER3 MOORE, b. 1885, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand; d. 1961, New Zealand.
    ii. FREDERICK CHARLES MOORE, b. 1887, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    9. iii. WILLIAM FRANCIS MOORE, b. 1889, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand; d. 1962, New Zealand.
    iv. JOHN JAMES MOORE, b. 1891, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    v. THOMAS ARTHUR MOORE, b. 1896, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    vi. IVY EVALINE MOORE, b. 1899, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.

7. ROBERT BERTY2 STIVEN (THOMAS1) was born 20 Jul 1879 in New Zealand, and died 1930 in Southland, New Zealand. He married GRACE BYERS 1907 in New Zealand. She died 1929 in Southland, New Zealand.

Notes for ROBERT BERTY STIVEN: Hotel keeper in Wallacetown

More About ROBERT BERTY STIVEN: Burial: Wallacetown Cemetery

More About GRACE BYERS: Burial: Wallacetown Cemetery

Child of ROBERT STIVEN and GRACE BYERS is:
    i. MARGARET GRACE STEWART3 STIVEN.

Generation No. 3

8. MARION ESTHER3 MOORE (ELLEN JANE2 STIVEN, THOMAS1) was born 1885 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand, and died 1961 in New Zealand. She married JOSEPH JOHNSTON 1906 in New Zealand.

Notes for MARION ESTHER MOORE: Purewa Cremations, Age 74, 1961

Child of MARION MOORE and JOSEPH JOHNSTON is: i. ALAN DOUGLAS4 JOHNSTON, b. 1907, New Zealand.

9. WILLIAM FRANCIS3 MOORE (ELLEN JANE2 STIVEN, THOMAS1) was born 1889 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand, and died 1962 in New Zealand. He married VIOLET GLEN 1921 in New Zealand, daughter of JOHN GLEN and ISABELLA FARQUHARSON. She was born 26 May 1889 in New Zealand, and died 1960 in New Zealand.

More About WILLIAM FRANCIS MOORE: Burial: Oamaru Old & New Cemetery
    More About VIOLET GLEN: Burial: 1960, Oamaru Old & New Cemetery

Child of WILLIAM MOORE and VIOLET GLEN is:
    i. STILLBORN BABY4 MOORE, b. 1924, New Zealand.

================================================== =======

BonnieLynn

Descendants of John Leece Moore

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN LEECE1 MOORE was born Abt. 1850 in Scotland?, and died 1923 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand. He married ELLEN JANE STIVEN 1884 in Lawrence, New Zealand, daughter of THOMAS STIVEN and MARION PATTERSON. She was born Abt. 1872 in New Zealand, and died 1937 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.

Children of JOHN MOORE and ELLEN STIVEN are:
    2. i. MARION ESTHER2 MOORE, b. 1885, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand; d. 1961, New Zealand.
    ii. FREDERICK CHARLES MOORE, b. 1887, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    3. iii. WILLIAM FRANCIS MOORE, b. 1889, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand; d. 1962, New Zealand.
    iv. JOHN JAMES MOORE, b. 1891, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    v. THOMAS ARTHUR MOORE, b. 1896, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.
    vi. IVY EVALINE MOORE, b. 1899, Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand.

Generation No. 2

2. MARION ESTHER2 MOORE (JOHN LEECE1) was born 1885 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand, and died 1961 in New Zealand. She married JOSEPH JOHNSTON 1906 in New Zealand.

Notes for MARION ESTHER MOORE: Purewa Cremations, Age 74, 1961

Child of MARION MOORE and JOSEPH JOHNSTON is: i. ALAN DOUGLAS3 JOHNSTON, b. 1907, New Zealand.

3. WILLIAM FRANCIS2 MOORE (JOHN LEECE1) was born 1889 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand, and died 1962 in New Zealand. He married VIOLET GLEN 1921 in New Zealand, daughter of JOHN GLEN and ISABELLA FARQUHARSON. She was born 26 May 1889 in New Zealand, and died 1960 in New Zealand.

More About WILLIAM FRANCIS MOORE: Burial: Oamaru Old & New Cemetery
    More About VIOLET GLEN: Burial: 1960, Oamaru Old & New Cemetery

Child of WILLIAM MOORE and VIOLET GLEN is:
    i. STILLBORN BABY3 MOORE, b. 1924, New Zealand.

BonnieLynn

Default Glen Line

Descendants of John Bishop Glen

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN BISHOP1 GLEN was born 1869 in New Zealand, and died 1955 in Huntly, Waikato, New Zealand. He married ISABELLA FARQUHARSON 1883 in New Zealand. She was born 1867 in New Zealand, and died 1944 in Huntly, Waikato, New Zealand.

Notes for JOHN BISHOP GLEN:
    Birth certificate must be ordered to determine parents. Waikato District does not have an online cemetery index. Go to https://www.waikatodistrict.govt.nz/F...emeteries.aspx for a map and email contact.

More About JOHN BISHOP GLEN:
    Burial: 1955, Huntly (Kimihia) Cemetery
    Probate: 24 Jun 1955, Hamilton Court
    Residence: 1892, Maori Hill, Dunedin, New Zealand

Notes for ISABELLA FARQUHARSON:
    Birth certificate must be ordered to determine parents.

More About ISABELLA FARQUHARSON:
    Burial: 1944, Huntly (Kimihia) Cemetery

Children of JOHN GLEN and ISABELLA FARQUHARSON are:
    i. ISABELLA2 GLEN, b. 1884, New Zealand.
    ii. MARY GLEN, b. 1885, New Zealand.
    iii. JOHN GLEN, b. 06 May 1887, New Zealand; d. 29 Jun 1917, France.

Notes for JOHN GLEN:
    Information on WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY can be found at https://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_...ry=8200&mode=1

WW I unit: Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F. Military record can be ordered from Archives NZ

More About JOHN GLEN:
    Burial: 1917, FRANCE - WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY

2. iv. VIOLET GLEN, b. 26 May 1889, New Zealand; d. 1960, New Zealand.
    v. ALEXANDER GLEN, b. 22 Aug 1891, New Zealand.
    vi. ALICE GLEN, b. 04 Aug 1893, New Zealand; d. 1934, Dunedin, New Zealand; m. JOHN SCOTT RAMSAY, 1925, New Zealand.

More About ALICE GLEN:
    Burial: 1934, Andersons Bay Cemetery

vii. THOMAS JAMES GLEN, b. 28 Apr 1897, New Zealand; d. 1938, Dunedin, New Zealand.

More About THOMAS JAMES GLEN:
    Burial: 1938, Andersons Bay Cemetery, Dunedin

viii. ELIZABETH REID GLEN, b. 30 May 1899, New Zealand; d. 1986, Dunedin, New Zealand; m. RICHARD STEPHEN RUSBATCH, 1926, New Zealand.

More About ELIZABETH REID GLEN:
    Burial: 1986, Andersons Bay Cremations

ix. MARION CECILIA GLEN, b. 23 Sep 1902, New Zealand.
    x. MARGARET GLEN, b. 05 Jan 1906, New Zealand.
    xi. HENRY PATRICK GLEN, b. 1907, New Zealand.
    xii. JOHN ANDERSON GLEN, b. 1908, New Zealand.

Generation No. 2

2. VIOLET2 GLEN (JOHN BISHOP1) was born 26 May 1889 in New Zealand, and died 1960 in New Zealand. She married WILLIAM FRANCIS MOORE 1921 in New Zealand, son of JOHN MOORE and ELLEN STIVEN. He was born 1889 in Tapanui, Otago, New Zealand, and died 1962 in New Zealand.

Notes for VIOLET GLEN:

More About VIOLET GLEN:
    Burial: 1960, Oamaru Old & New Cemetery

Notes for WILLIAM FRANCIS MOORE:

More About WILLIAM FRANCIS MOORE:
    Burial: Oamaru Old & New Cemetery

Child of VIOLET GLEN and WILLIAM MOORE is:
    i. STILLBORN BABY3 MOORE, b. 1924, New Zealand.

Mark Humphreys

Hi There Bonnielynn thanks for all this info, There is a lot here that was a big help, we really appreciate it.
    The John Bishop Glen isnt our John Glen though because we have found ours buried at Anderson's bay cemetery Dunedin with his wife Isabella as well as another family member.
    Last edited by Mark Humphreys; 06-03-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: extra info!

jeniferemuir

Ellen Jane Stiven and John leece Moore are my great grandparents.
    Ellen Jane Moore born in 1862 and died 20th Oct 1927
    John Leece Moore born in the isle of man died 1923 in his 74th year.
    They were married on 8th Oct 1884 at the residence of Thomas Stiven in Lawrence Otago New Zealand by the reverend Baaunat.
    They lived 8 years in Lawrence and then shifted to Tapanui West Otago New Zealand. He was a saddler. Because it was the gold mining times.

They had 11 children who are my great aunties and uncles and my grandmother was Lilian Ophir Moore. the William francis Moore that you mention below is included in this list
    Marion Esther b 1885
    Charles frederick b 1887
    William Francis b 1889
    John James b 1891
    Emma Jane b1893
    Thomas Arthur b1896
    Ivy Evelyn b1899
    Lilian Ophir b 1901
    Hazel Annie Evelyn b 1903
    Alfred Edward b1905
    Florence Isabel b 1906 Died of pandemic at 3 weeks

The Violet Glen you refer to born in 1889 and who married William Francis Moore lived in MAHENO in North Otago.
    There childrens names were John, June, and Arthur. They are all dead.
    Is your wife a decendant of Arthur and Georgina Moore?

My mother is Alma Banbury and has met Janice.