Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Jack Richards

Hi Friends

I have picked up the last two postings and will reply correctly later today.

I'm dashing off into Derbyshire to the Palterton village school which was 100 years old yesterday, but today is the "celebration" - the school is having classes as they were on opening day. This is the topic of the spreadsheet.

Oh and I'm running late.

Regards

Jack Richards

Hi Mark, Gibo and other friends viewing this thread

Thanks for your posting relating to pdf's. I had previously considered using that method, but really I wanted to have the spreadsheet viewed on the page without having to open it via a link etc.

What I wanted to discover was putting a speadsheet onto my web site as in my first posting, but as I am writing, thanks again Gibo for your contribution.

Mark, thanks for your response. I had looked at your "spreadsheet" and at the code via "view source" and had noted that the actual code was the same as I use when entering census information on my pages.

Since your posting, I've had another look "behind the scene" to try and learn more about html coding, but quite frankly I cannot see any coding that may be superfluous - this is a side issue to our and others posting on this thread.

Again, Mark thanks for your responses herein. All the responses on this thread have been most welcome, and thanks to all who have viewed.

Regards

MarkJ

It has been an interesting thread as you say Jack. Always interested to see what others do and pick up little ideas and tips.

Mark

Jack Richards

Hi Mark

Most certainly, I have learned a lot from this thread, especially Peters' mention of AscToTab. I have looked at his spreadsheet in html via this "freebie" programme and it is the same coding both we and I suspect most people use. It is so much easier and far less time consuming doing the conversion than laboriously typing each entry in html.

Also, I suspect that many of our friends viewing this thread will also have downloaded the aforementioned "freebie" for their future use.

Regards

MarkJ

I don't type the entries manually Jack
    OpenOffice happily converts a spreadsheet to the html you see on my page. The only bit I have to manually do is remove the SDVAL and SDNUM entries which a spreadsheet creates. Even those are technically not an issue - they don't show up on the webpage, and I only remove them because they will not allow the page to validate with the w3c validator.

This is a sample of what I get initially, by simply opening the .xls file and then saving it as html -

<TR>
    <TD HEIGHT=17 ALIGN=RIGHT SDVAL="1569" SDNUM="2057;">1569</TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT>Pydar</TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT>St Enoder</TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT>John</TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT>CONDY</TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT>a b</TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT>bill</TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT><BR></TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT><BR></TD>
    <TD ALIGN=LEFT>Sue Boyland</TD>
    </TR>

As you can see, the basic table is created for me - with the relevant data inserted into the rows. But at the top you can see that SDVAL thing. Simply removing the offending bit of text -

SDVAL="1569" SDNUM="2057;"

is all that I need to do. Of course, if there are 200 entries, it gets a bit tedious! I can remove it via a script, but annoyingly, the values change, so the script has to account for that too - but it isn't too hard to come up with something and, as mentioned, these values do not affect the rendering of the page anyway.
    Likewise, the OpenOffice conversion adds a DOCTYPE and a few other bits which again work fine but the actual doctype given is useless when it comes to validating the code with the w3c. So I just simply copy and paste the doctype from another of my pages so it becomes HTML 4.01 Transitional Not relevant to most people, but I like all my pages to validate and so I carry out these little tweaks.

I would be very interested to see what AscToTab can do - I must install a (genuine licenced!) copy of XP in a virtual machine on my PC to see what it makes of the files I work with! First though, I must fix my PC (A classic case of a techie who doesn't get around to fixing his own stuff!)

Mark

gibo

Wink New Html window

Hi Jack,
    My suggestion about saving the spread sheet as a pdf file - does not mean it is viewed as a "link" really.
    Most web browsers will open the pdf file right in your browser but you can also force it to open a new page i.e. leaving your normal web page open (behind) it. This would be better for continuity and ease of navigation. I also use this trick with other web pages where you don't want your link over-writing the current page (handy for external links as well).

The code for a new html window is below:

<A HREF="https://www.wollongong.anglican.asn.au" TARGET="_blank">
    Click Here for the Church information</a>

If the new window you want to open is your page it could look like this also :

<A HREF="myspreadsheet.htm" TARGET="_blank">
    Click here for the spead sheet</a>

Good luck with it.
    Regards,
    Jeff

Jack Richards

Hi Mark and Jeff

Sincerest apologies for not replying by return, we have a very ill son who is undergoing major surgery of about 19 hours today, hence we have both been pre-occupied.

I have copied both posts and perhaps tomorrow, I will be able to concentrate again on leisure activities.

Thank you both for your continued interest and advice.

Regards

MarkJ

Sorry to hear that Jack - I hope all goes well today.

Mark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123