Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

The good news is I think I found his birth in Glasgow Central on 26th February 1864, son of William Spence and Amelia McNeil. The bad new is I can't read what it says about William Senior! Any ideas? My best guess is packing box maker (journeyman)

Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

JohnJackson

Don't you wish you could read thia as Sue has - brilliant!

Michael Spence

William Spence was also my Grandfather. If you still require information about him I may be able to help.

Hallo Michael, and a very warm welcome to BG. John hasn't visited the forum for a year or so, but hopefully your post will generate an e-mail to him. Or you could click on his user name and send a private message. In the meantime, now you have found us, have a good look round the rest of the forum.
    Sue Mackay

JohnJackson

Dear Michael, AS Sue writes I've not been here lately. Can I presume that you were born in Gibraltar? If so then I have received your details from your brother. Amazingly this branch of my tree was blocked for years, my g'ma's sister Polly (Mary Ann) disappeared in SA about 1900 after my g'ma helped with her children during the Boer War. I searched in SA, where my brother lives, and discovered some of the fate of Polly and William's new wife.
    Any details would be appreciated as I get no further than William's mother Amelia coming from Ireland and being b. about 1839. William's Spence g'parents I've got as Peter & Margaret née Smith - do you agree?

John
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 22-10-2013 at 1:43 PM. Reason: Removing personal details of living people

Lance Michell

Thank you for this interesting discussion which I came across while researching William John Hector Spence who was my grandmother's (Alice Amelia Spence) brother. He was killed in France in 1916 and I am planning to visit his grave in the British Cemetry at Warlencourte. There is one inconsistency in that Alice described how the children fled Lindley during the Boer war and then stayed in England until the end of the war so I think the passenger list was from their return at the end of the war in 1902. Mary Ann did die in child birth. Alice and all her siblings lived to a ripe old age in South Africa.
    Last edited by Lance Michell; 17-12-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Typo

AndreSpence

Default Macdonald Spence

Hi, I was born in Cape Town, South Africa in 1955. My grandfather Robert Macdonald Spence, born 24 July 1896, died 12 Dec 1950. So, I never knew him. My father Johnson Macdonald Spence died when I was 5 years old. I am trying to find how far back my ancestors came to South Africa. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreSpence View Post
    Hi, I was born in Cape Town, South Africa in 1955. My grandfather Robert Macdonald Spence, born 24 July 1896, died 12 Dec 1950. So, I never knew him. My father Johnson Macdonald Spence died when I was 5 years old. I am trying to find how far back my ancestors came to South Africa. Any ideas?
    Welcome to British-Genealogy. I am not an expert on more recent South African genealogy, but you perhaps need to establish whether Robert was born in South Africa. You might be able to find a baptism on Family Search, and this should tell you who his parents were.

I have found his marriage on Family Search as it has already been indexed.

You might also find some useful links here.
    Sue Mackay

AndreSpence

Thank you Sue, I appreciate. This is a start. I am new to this and battle to find my way around. Have managed to find his death register. At least I have now established what the cause of his death was and that he was born in South Africa. It is however a schlep and laborious task to browse through photographed documents. I am still trying to find a baptism record.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234