Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I had much more luck looking into the ancestors of William Hunter's Wife Ann: She was born in 1737, at Legsby, near Market Rasen. Ann was the daughter of George Parker (born 1701 at Linwood, died 1777 at Barrow) and Ann(e) Woodlief (Christened 20th January 1703 at Wickenby, as "Ann Woodliff", died 1784 in Barrow). William's future wife Ann married an Edward Skinner in 1762, before she married William Hunter. I found out about this George Parker through an interesting book in Lincoln Library called (something like): "The Royal Manor Of Barrow: A list Of The Copyhold Tenants". And then I looked up George Parker on "Family Search" This book lists streets of old Barrow, and names of people who lived in what house where. It also shows photos of houses with a brief explanation of each property. In it on one page it mentions: "George Parker of Leggisby". And then it mentions an Edward Hunter, presumably Edward Wilson Hunter (1809-1872) being an heir to George's property, and being his Grandson. If I remember rightly it showed William and Ann Hunter as living in the same house after George Parker had died, before it went to Edward.

Thank you.

Loves to help with queries

Now that was a useful find! Good work.
    Did the list of Copyhold tenants only include tenants of land or did it include cottages etc.?
    I am wondering whether it may help with my Westaby line there. My latest there, Thomas, was a shoemaker, but there was
    also another Thomas there at the same time, a farmer, whose surname is more often than not spelled WestOby.

The book just included houses, properties, and presumably cottages also, not land from what I remember (just land that each owned in their gardens). It gives lots of mentions to barns of houses and mesauges. If I get chance to go to the Library again, I may have a look at the Westaby/ Westoby's in the index at the back. I will have a look out for a Thomas for you. I checked to see if this book was available on Amazon, but isn't at present. I don't know if it is available anywhere else.

Thank you.

Thank you. That would be appreciated. My Thomas WESTABY b.c. 1781. buried November 1846, Barrow, shoemaker.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by burt View Post
    I beg to differ with Bettyanne regarding the burial of John Hunter senior. The burial in 1843, presumably got from Free bmd which
    would list it under the Registration District actually took place at Broughton near Brigg. John Hunter senior is with wife Grace in
    the 1841 at Barrow St Chad and listed as of independant means. REbdon correctly deduced that wife Grace died in 1841. John
    Hunter then remarries at Barrow
    most probably to Mary Sanderson in the June quarter of 1847 and they both appear at Barrow St
    Chad in the 1851 Census he listed as a retired farmer. His burial is then recorded at Barrow St Chad 1855 Apr 23 aged 82.
    I deduce he was baptized 1772 at Barrow the son of William Hunter and Ann. A Marriage Certificate for the second marriage in
    1847 would hopefully prove his father as William and give both their occupations.
    William Hunter married Ann Skinner a widow in 1767 May 14 at Barrow. An Edward Skinner married an Ann Parker at Barrow in
    1762 Jun 22.
    Unless he marries in one of the few churches whose marriage registers have yet to be indexed I think you will find that John marries either in a non-conformist church/chapel or the Register Office.
    See https://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/
    Glanford Brigg introduction.
    Neither John nor Mary's names appear in the index spreadsheet.

Pam

Hello There,
    I did manage to get a Marriage Certificate for this John Hunter's second marriage: He married Mary Sanderson on the 5th day of May 1847. They were married in the Wesleyan Chapel of (from what I can read of what it says) St. Peter's at Barton. It does show his father as being William Hunter, a Shepherd.

Thank you.

I just looked on "Free Reg" and there is a Thomas WESTOBY who was also down as a Shoemaker in Barrow, in 1818, mentioned in the Christening of his daughter. There was a Thomas Westoby, buried in Barrow in 1896, aged 80.

Now that was a useful find! Good work.
    Did the list of Copyhold tenants only include tenants of land or did it include cottages etc.?
    I am wondering whether it may help with my Westaby line there. My latest there, Thomas, was a shoemaker, but there was
    also another Thomas there at the same time, a farmer, whose surname is more often than not spelled WestOby.
    Hello Burt,
    I had a look in the Library today in the book. I'm afraid the book did not contain anyone with the surname of Westaby. But there were a few however with the surname Westoby:
    Close Number 49a, (Close Number on old Enclosure Map of Barrow. Nothing to do with today's door street numbers)Cherry Lane, St.Chad, Barrow: May 20th 1830: Ann Westoby and Frances Westoby. The book says this was a:" Waste Toft And Croft (Cottage?) in St. Chad"
    Close 59, North Street, Barrow:
    March 6th 1776: John Westoby and his wife Sarah
    Sept 2 1801: Thomas Westoby (Miller)
    Close 119, Barton Lane, Barrow:
    September 14 1821: John Sergeant and Thomas Westoby.
    The book by the way is called: "The Manor Of Barrow: The Copyhold Tenants Of The Royal Manor" written by Helen Gray, and Neil Wilkyn. It says that Copyholders held their tenancies by virtue of a copy of their entry in the manor court rolls. The book does not show occupations of tenants very often. It gives very brief descriptions of each property, and the dates each tenants name was entered into the rolls. Well, anyway Burt, I hope this may be of some use to you, even though there are no Westabys in the book.

Thank you

Thank you very much for looking. I know the 'other' Thomas was a miller and farmer, whereas mine was always a shoemaker.
    My Thomas married Mary Spalding in 1808 at Goxhill. He was described at that point as of Barnetby and the first son was
    baptized at Barnetby. The second son was at Bonby and the rest of the brood are at Barrow from 1812 to 1820 including
    the one you noticed in 1818, Elizabeth Spalding Westaby, my gggrandmother. Now my Thomas was buried in1846 and his
    wife Mary in 1849 as is shown by the burial register and their gravestone at Barrow. There is a website which contains
    details of supposedly two more sons born 1822 and 1825. They have a family Bible containing a page of the children of
    Thomas and Mary Westaby with their BIRTH dates at Barrow. Another page contains William and Maria Wilson's children
    at Holton le Moor. Ann Wilson married George Westaby at Brigg in 1850 apparently and sailed for America together with
    George's younger brother Charles immediately. The baptisms at Barrow show the parents of these two brothers to be
    Thomas and Sarah Westaby but with the occupation of shoemaker. The 'other' Thomas married Sally aka Sarah Sargent
    and had a list of offspring.
    The emigrant brothers had become strong in the Wesleyan Church before they left. It appears there was a considerable
    move to the Wesleyans in Barrow, which is not evidenced in the Burials. Your man John Hunter senior was very connected
    to the Chapel at Barrow as also in the founding at Ulceby, in those documents the bounds are described and there was no
    room for a burial ground, so hence Burials are found in C of E.

The emigrant brothers had become strong in the Wesleyan Church before they left. It appears there was a considerable
    move to the Wesleyans in Barrow, which is not evidenced in the Burials. Your man John Hunter senior was very connected
    to the Chapel at Barrow as also in the founding at Ulceby, in those documents the bounds are described and there was no
    room for a burial ground, so hence Burials are found in C of E.
    Thank you burt. During part of my researches into this part of my Family tree, I looked up John Wesley. I already knew that he was born in Lincolnshire. But I also discovered that he preached at Barrow, on many occasions between 1762, all the way up to the late 1770's/ early 1780's. Therefore, I find it very probable that John Hunter seniors father William Hunter (1739-1803) would have heard his speeches, and made an impression on him. He married in Barrow, and all his children were born in Barrow.
    Was John Hunter senior one of the Trustees of Barrow Chapel? I kept on seeing loads of documents like "Lease and Release" and "Bargain and Sale" and quite a few other documents with John Hunter's name on in "Lincs To The Past" website. But to be honest I don't really understand that much of what they are concerning/ what his role would have been.
    And how was he connected "in the founding at Ulceby" please?

Thank You.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234