Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bettyanne

Red face John Hunter junior

Sorry I only just saw the bit about probate,it says it was less than £100. Regards Beth

Bettyanne

John Hunter senior: born 1776 died 1843. John Hunter junior: born 1800 died 1859. Beth H

Quote Originally Posted by Bettyanne View Post
    Hello Just found out about your enquiries. John Hunter Senior was the father of my 2nd great grandfather who was John Hunter born 1800 in Bonby married to Dinah Hoodless, Father to my grandmother Sarah Hunter born 1839 who married my grandfather Alfred Hunter Hockney. John senior was married to Grace Wilson they had 9 children,of course which included John born 1800. This John was a railway worker. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Regards Beth Hancock nee Hockney
    Thank you very much for your reply Beth, much appreciated. So you are descended from Sarah Hunter, born in Barrow in 1839. Do you mean that this lady was one of your Great Grandmothers? When I did a little bit of research a few months ago, it seemed that the family had split up after John Hunter died in 1859: In the 1861 Census, they were living with different relatives. I couldn't find Sarah Hunter in the 1861 Census.
    Also, am I right in thinking that you say in your message that this John Hunter senior also worked on the railway, as his son, John Hunter junior did also?

Any information you can give on this will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Richard Ebdon

Quote Originally Posted by Bettyanne View Post
    John Hunter senior: born 1776 died 1843. John Hunter junior: born 1800 died 1859. Beth H
    Thank you once again.Do you know where this John Hunter senior was born also please? Also, I think that John Hunter senior's wife Grace, died in 1841, but not too sure about this.

Thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by REbdon View Post
    "Engine (Train)Driver".
    Ahhh, the common mistake!

An engine driver does NOT necessarily mean he drove trains. An engine driver can refer to a driver transporting coal, slate etc from a mine to other towns or cities.

Quote Originally Posted by smj7290 View Post
    Ahhh, the common mistake!

An engine driver does NOT necessarily mean he drove trains. An engine driver can refer to a driver transporting coal, slate etc from a mine to other towns or cities.
    Thank you.

Banned

No problem. Glad you know that for future reference.

Loves to help with queries

I beg to differ with Bettyanne regarding the burial of John Hunter senior. The burial in 1843, presumably got from Free bmd which
    would list it under the Registration District actually took place at Broughton near Brigg. John Hunter senior is with wife Grace in
    the 1841 at Barrow St Chad and listed as of independant means. REbdon correctly deduced that wife Grace died in 1841. John
    Hunter then remarries at Barrow most probably to Mary Sanderson in the June quarter of 1847 and they both appear at Barrow St
    Chad in the 1851 Census he listed as a retired farmer. His burial is then recorded at Barrow St Chad 1855 Apr 23 aged 82.
    I deduce he was baptized 1772 at Barrow the son of William Hunter and Ann. A Marriage Certificate for the second marriage in
    1847 would hopefully prove his father as William and give both their occupations.
    William Hunter married Ann Skinner a widow in 1767 May 14 at Barrow. An Edward Skinner married an Ann Parker at Barrow in
    1762 Jun 22.

The fuller detail from the 1865 Probate is very helpful no matter what might have been in the actual Will.
    John Hunter proved 1865 August 28. Effects under £100.
    The Will of John Hunter formerly of Holton le Moor but late of Barnetby le Wold both in the County of
    Lincoln Yeoman deceased who died 4 October 1859 at Barnetby le Wold aforesaid was proved at Lincoln
    by the oath of Dinah Hunter of New Holland in the parish of Barrow in the County aforesaid Widow the
    Relict the sole Executrix.

Although Grace Hunter is listed in Free BMD Burials for 1841, she does not appear in the burials of the Lincs FHS CD. This
    would mean that either she was buried outside of the area covered by the CD or she was buried in a non CofE graveyard
    as this predates public Cemetaries. Lincs to the Past record a John Hunter of Barrow, farmer as one of the Trustees of the
    Wesleyan Chapel at Ulceby.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast