Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus on Genes

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Default Virus on Genes

I read earlier someone picked up a warning message when going on Genesreunited.
    I have looked for the thread, but can't find it.

I just went on Genes and immediately my computer (I question this, as it wasn't my virus scanner) told me I had 101 trojans and various other things which were critical and asked me if I wanted to 'run' an unknown programme to get rid of them?

PANIC!!

This box asking me to 'run' this programme didn't want to be got rid off. But somehow I managed to get rid of it and am now running my virus scan. I will let you know the results.

I am now using my laptop, but fear for my PC.

Sue

Jan1954

The other thread is here.

Yep! That's it.

I don't think I actually let anything in, but if I had run the so-called programme, then I think I would have let something in. My scanner hasn't thrown anything up yet. I'll use adware scanner when it has finished, as a double check. Will keep you posted.

Seems genes haven't sorted it yet, but I'm now afraid to go back to it.

Sue

gasser

Thanks for the information......... My other half, who's a computer literate, isn't here all day so I won't visit genes in case everything goes pear-shaped! Let us know how things progress

ShirleySS

I picked up this Virus a couple of weeks ago. It is quite easy to get rid of (not that I know how but my "computer literate" friend sorted it out for me.) If you put the name of the programme they are asking you to download, in the search engine, the info on how to get rid of it is quite easy to find. You have to go into the uninstall programme. Sorry I can't remember more detail, but it seemed to work when my friend came over. A lot of people seem to have been infected with this one.
    ShirleySS

I didn't actually download the programme. Thought it was a bit suspicious.
    The virus scan is now complete and nothing was found. Am now running Adware to see whether there is any malware. Usually, after I have run McAfee, nothing else is ever found. Fingers Crossed.

Sue

v.wells

I went to Genes 3x's today and only the first instance got this stupid thing. It appears to be a Windows IE scam of some sort - told me I had trojans which I do not so I just clicked it off. After reading Shirley's post #5, I went looking for it but couldn't find it. If it happens again I will remember to copy the url into google and find the problem-fixer.

It's scary though.
    Looks as though AdAware has not found anything either. Phew!!
    Think genes should get it sorted.
    Sue

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Sue...

My computer kept saying it was blocking whatever it was throwing at me and since Thurs. pm I have not had the message any more. Whatever little critter it is it must be making the rounds trying to find someone who doesn't have security on their computer . Vanessa said she contacted them, I had contacted them so the more the better, I say!

Sue

v.wells

Been on genes again trying to catch the critter but no luck. I did a Windows defender scan but nothing and I wasn't worried anyway as my Panda anti-virus/hacking checker does a fantastic job - it blocks everything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast