Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus on Genes

v.wells

I wonder if it is Windows "Live" Safety scanner? This I think may have been part of another wretched windows update thing over the last couple of weeks.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I wonder if it is Windows "Live" Safety scanner? This I think may have been part of another wretched windows update thing over the last couple of weeks.
    You could be right as it first showed up after the last Windows' automatic update.

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

I had the same thing a week ago but not from Genes,ran AVG,all clear.Have ignored it since.
    Eric

sue e

I've been getting the box warning up for the last 3 days. I use avast and that stopped it thankfully.

Sue

Nannas

It's just an ad.
    It isn't a virus,,,,just a pop up spam that tries to scare people into downloading the software,,(which may or may not be infected)

Some tricky little buggers from parts of the world seem to be able to attach them to certain sites (but only for certain areas/times/hits)
    It will disappear soon and turn up somewhere else...

Nannas

Nicolina

I went on Genes a couple of hours ago, following an email from them saying that my cousin had up-dated their tree. When I tried to see who had been added I got a genuine looking virus warning but nothing about downloading a programme. I closed the window PDQ just to be safe.

mfwebb

My wife went on GR yesterday and got the same thing -- a big red warning that she had some nasties. She immediately came out and ran a full scan with AVG and nothing was found.

I had something similar with a programme called PSecurity on my daughters computer a few weeks ago. This thing got in and wouldn't be got rid of. Kept telling her she had hundreds of nasties and she needed to download the programme which she (unfortunately) did. It then scanned and identified hundreds of trojans but then asked her to pay $99 to clear them which (thankfully) she didn't.

I googled PSecurity and found it to be a rogue antispyware programme. Even after paying $99 several people were saying their computer was still infected.

Further googling got me an uninstall routine -- a bit scary as it involved editing the Registry, but I followed the steps and got rid of it.

The rule to follow is "if you are invited to download something and you aren't 100% sure you know what it is, don't do it".

I also avoid like the plague those e-mails from friends which have been forwarded to all and sundry -- especially those which say something like "this is important, forward it to all your contacts". A sure fire way to spread viruses.

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

I have just looked on another forum (sorry folks!) and there was a similar thread running there.
    It seems that if you are getting strange things happening when you go to Genes, then you ALREADY HAVE malware on your computer.
    I did not believe this, as I had run McAfee Internet Security ans AdAware and they had shown up nothing.
    BUT the other site said I should run Malwarebytes (free to download - google it) and I did and it found 6 items of Malware on my computer!!!
    Now I ask - why do I pay for McAfee if it does not sort these things out.

Anyway - I just thought you ought to know!!

Sue

Peter_uk_can

Malwarebytes is a piece of software designed to remove malware. It offers a free download and also sells a more advanced version.

Whoever operates this company may be running very close to what is and isn't allowed, but being the internet, almost anything is allowed.

It targets various websites and places there what is nothing more than an advertisement, the design of which is capable of scaring people.

Working with certain phrases and screen layouts it hopes to convince the unsuspecting recipients that their computer is about to enter the abyss of viruses, trojans and all the other nasties out there.

Now, many of us have very good anti-virus protection, but Malwarebytes very cunningly sows the seeds of doubt and offers to scan our computer and protect it from harm and all this it will do for free.

The commercial side comes into play when it persuades people to buy their product. Once insatlled on your machine it will work away protecting the welfare of your computer until one day up pops a message to say that it has found the most evil trojan / virus known only to them. The tiny catch..... ummm they can't remove it for free. Gotcha.

Why does it find "stuff" that your trusted antivirus didn't, one has to ask the question... but did it ?... throwing a few names about doesn't always mean that your computer had a problem..

Anyway.. it is all out there to read and decide on.

My internet provider, "Shaw" includes anti-virus, firewall and junks and blocks the e-mails which we don't need to receive, this service is included within the fee they charge for their service. It continues to keep our systems free of the nasties. Which makes us happy.
    Last edited by Peter_uk_can; 15-02-2010 at 7:41 PM. Reason: spelling and grammatical errors are in proportion to the amount of words I use.

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

You say this Peter, but when I found these six trojans on my pc, it prompted me to check my laptop too. It found nothing there, which is what I was suspecting.
    Anyhow, I feel happier for having used it. I didn't click a link to find the scanner, I went straight to the site and downloaded the free version.

Anyhow, I still won't be visiting genes for a bit.

Sue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast