Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Exploit Rogue scanner

Hi computer techies...
    Please tell me what I can do about this. Everytime I log on to Genes Reunited I get this message from AVG. I understand because it has been blocked the threat isn't getting on to my computer, but it is annoying and time consuming. Would GR not be aware of this problem?

Acessed file is infected
    Threat was blocked!
    file name: 89.248.171.66/index.php?affid=92005

Threat name: Exploit Rogue scanner ( type 1027 ) quote

Thanks
    Sue

Lincoln Lad

Hello Sue, it would appear to me that you have an malware infestation of some sort that is redirecting your browser.
    The site IP address for GR (from Whois) is 213.161.68.203 , not 89.248.171.66.

Have you run MalwareBytes or Adaware or Spybot at all to see if infected?

Hi Lincoln Lad....
    Thanks....
    The answer to your question is "no"! I just run virus protection and checking and when I do that it says all is well. My question is why would this only happen when I try to access Genes and not any other site and are any of the above free to download? Sounds like its time for my son-in-law to pay me a visit
    By the way " Malware infestation" sounds really creepy..makes the skin crawl!!

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

" Malware infestation" sounds really creepy
    Every bit as nasty as it sounds.

v.wells

I had the exact same thing happen when I was on Genes twice in the last couple of days. I just clicked it off. Quit the page and then opened it up again. I think it is a plug add-on with their speil about upgrading to a newer browser such as IE8, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. It is really irritaing, but I ignore it as my anti-virus protection is doing its job just fine.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Lad View Post
    Hello Sue, it would appear to me that you have an malware infestation of some sort that is redirecting your browser.
    The site IP address for GR (from Whois) is 213.161.68.203 , not 89.248.171.66.

Have you run MalwareBytes or Adaware or Spybot at all to see if infected?
    Lincoln - How do you find the site address? All that show is the url

Lincoln Lad

Hi Vanessa,
    If you google whois it will bring up a site where you can search on the address or domain name and it will give you all UK details held such as server address etc.

Keith

v.wells

Thank you Keith - I'll give it a whirl. I have just downloaded Firefox and am testing it to see how I like it or not. Another learning curve for me

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Do let's know Vanessa, what you think of it, seems popular with several members here, but I'm wary of such changes to what is not really 'my' machine.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen when I was on Genes twice in the last couple of days. I just clicked it off. Quit the page and then opened it up again. I think it is a plug add-on with their speil about upgrading to a newer browser such as IE8, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. It is really irritaing, but I ignore it as my anti-virus protection is doing its job just fine.
    Aw, Vanessa... at least I know I'm not alone! it happens on the computer in the office as well and it has even better security ( I think) than I have at home.
    I have Fire fox on the office computer..works fine for searches.....

Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast