sidney easton

Default Mottram Grammar School.

Anybody have any details of the ancient grammer school of Mottram in Longdendale Cheshire.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Sidney,
    Victoria county history has a few details of its founders and the National Archives have the Grammar school minutes from about 1865 onwards.

Reputation beyond repute

the National Archives have the Grammar school minutes from about 1865 onwards.
    I don't think they do.

I think you'll find that Cheshire Record Office have them.

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Tameside Family History Centre may also be able to help with background information. I found them very helpful when I phoned recently - what they could not answer directly, they did their very best to find out where further information might be found.
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

sidney easton

Thank you carolchipp, but I am trying to find records from 1670.

sidney easton

Thank you Peter Goodey. All records offices are now part of National Archives,That is how they get founding. That is why National Archives on Line has inf on where other inf is stored.

sidney easton

Thanks Barbara, Tried all that, got the names of the founders but no real records exist before 1840. I need 1700 and earlier-was looking for one Andrew Chadwick son of Ralph Chadwick and Ann Cole. Married, 1667 Saint James, Dukes Place, London.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sidney easton View Post
    All records offices are now part of National Archives,That is how they get founding.
    That is totally incorrect. County Records Offices are funded by County Councils (or unitary authorities that have the powers of county councils).

The role of the National Archives is set out on their web site under 'About Us'. One function is "collecting up–to-date information on the nature and location of records relating to British history". That is why a Global Search on TNA web site can be a quick, but not comprehensive, way to find out the location of records.