chopendoz

Default Epwell & Stretton on Fosse

Richard POTER (or POTTER) is believed to have been born c1715. He was NOT born in Epwell. He married Elizabeth HIDDIN (or HYDON or HIDEN) at Epwell on 1 Jul 1740. She was born c1720 - but NOT in Epwell.
    I would have thought that he may have married in his wife's parish as was the accepted practice in those days, but neither bride or groom was born in Epwell. Strange that they married in a village that neither was born in. He may have lived and worked there as a tailor. A Richard POTTER was buried at Epwell on 21 Mar 1797. However, there are no Monumental Inscriptions recorded for Epwell. (It would have been nice to have a 'died aged 84' on the headstone). I can find no birth record of a Richard POTTER within acceptable geographic/date parameters. There are vague references to a Richard POTTER ... of Stretton, but no record of him being born there either. When his wife died in 1744 he moved from Epwell to Stretton (on Fosse) and married again - then moved back to Epwell. There is a possibility that his second wife was born in Stretton but he was not.
    My brickwall is finding his place of birth/parentage.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Were there any other POTTERs in the parish around the time Richard married? If there are, can you make a family of them? What could happen is that a mobile family moved into a parish with their family already made, and the only trace you can find is in the marriages and burials. But if you can do that ( ie establish a possible family) you are then looking for a group rather than an individual, and that can be much easier. Have you also looked at Apprenticeship records? As a tailor, he might have been apprenticed, or perhaps his father also followed that trade. pw

Brick wall demolition expert!

Have you considered this. Bloxham about 3 miles from Epwell
    It is on the IGI and quotes a birth date with no baptism. A bit odd for a Bishops Transcript so is probably a baptism

RICHARD POTTER
    Birth: 23 SEP 1728 Bloxham, Oxford
    Father: JOHN POTTER
    Batch J024232

chopendoz

To answer the first question - Richard was the first POTTER to have a record in the Parish register - There are no thers before the marriage of 1740. To answer the 2nd qestion - Richard was certainly married in 1740 - but not aged 12!

Brick wall demolition expert!

but not aged 12!
    No you cannot marry at 12 but you can be baptized then. Baptism and birth are often close but not always.

A single entry on the IGI is highly unlikely to be just a birth as the Bishops Transcript is a record of what church services. Without further research definitely NOT the wrong age but a possible that should be put on the pile.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Richard might be the first occurrence of the name, but was he the ONLY one? Were there other marriages which might be for his siblings after his marriage in 1740? Were there any burials after 1740 which might be for his parents? If you haven't looked, then check just to be sure you aren't missing some easy clues. If you have, and there were none, then ignore this advice. pw

chopendoz

Thank you for that. Yes, I have checked over and over but cannot find any stray POTTER entries in Epwell that remain unidentified. As far Richard POTTER of Bloxham, take a number! I have candidates from Halesowen, Kidderminster, Belbroughton, a possible brother from Stretton and possible parents from Shipston. Nothing that I can pin down - so far.