Peter_uk_can

Default Viberts 1900 to present

This is an extract from just of the many Vibert lines in Canada.

From 1900 onwards the family has been very difficult to trace, manily because it would appear they were never sure what their name was.

I am still chasing them down, page by page of the parish entries... but who is this guy ?

Ancestry have the census transcription as Alex, which I can see would fit. However a paage by page search of the Methodist indexes from 1907 to 1912 hasn't found him. His siblings are all entered in the same Church indexes. If one ignores the drop down part of the 'g" from Margery and accepts that the large dot is from the "i" of Emilia (Amelia really), I can't get past the fact it is Alex. But I have not yet found a record for him being born, baptized, emigrating, marrying or dying.

Open to ideas, suggestions and /or wild guesses. Better still, an actual record.

Thanks

Ok. I have scrapped the photo. Don't know what is going on, but I haven't the time to play around with what used to easy...
    Last edited by Peter_uk_can; 09-02-2010 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Problems with image size... grrrrrrrrr

salcat

Could it be Alan?

S

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by salcat View Post
    Could it be Alan?
    That was my first thought as well. However, I have just checked on the census itself via Automated Genealogy who also have it transcribed as Alex. The census also shows a birth month of August 1909.

Peter_uk_can

Ok. here is the image again, thanks Salcat and Jan.

As yet, this is the only reference I have been able to find for this little guy. His siblings, before and after are documented. The family were Methodists and were in the same place both before and after 1911.

They most of them took it upon themselves to vanish. I found Margorie crossing to the U.S in 1927 and another younger son going to England, (unmarried) in 1942.

Brick wall demolition expert!

This is my theory:

Alex on the 1901 census is recorded as born Aug 1909 and he is age 2. If he is age 2 at census time, Jun 1, 1911, then he was born August 1908.

The parish register for Barachois in the month of September 1908 was being maintained by other men in the absence of the regular clerk.

I note a burial for an Alfred Percival Vibert on 24 Sept 1908, died 22 Sept 1908. He is the son of Elias Vibert & Margaret Amelia Ross.

Perhaps Alex & Alfred were twins, born in late August 1908 and their baptisms were pirivate because they were not expected to survive, and the baptisms never made it into the register.

Peter_uk_can

Thanks Adele. Always good to get some new ideas. Their first child, born May 1903 is described as being sick and wasn't baptised until 17 July. There are also notes for Private Baptisms of other children they had.

Married. 1902
    First born 1903
    2nd 1904
    3rd maybe 1908/9 "Alex"
    4th 1913
    5th 1917
    6th 1921

Maybe Alfred is hiding in the years 1904 - 1908.

Thanks again. I will go back to the records.

Peter_uk_can

Alfred Perciival Vibert. B: 13 July 1907 Bpt: 15th Sept 1907. I think I will now go backwards through the records until I get to child 3 (Alex) or child 2.

Thanks Adele

Brick wall demolition expert!

A thought just came to mind. Does Ancestry have all the pages of the Barachois registers? As you know, the parish clerks hand numbered them. It wouldn't be the first time there was an image missing on that website.

Peter_uk_can

Adele. I have worked through the actual pages from 1914 upto 1929, well 1928 actually. I left 1929 for another day ..

The only connection to the family, was in 1928 with Elias Vibert signing as witness to the burial entry for a James Vibert age 71.

Ancestry didn't always copy the index pages , so for some years it was a page by page search. Birth/Baptism entries do not extract the mother's maiden name neither does it include maiden names when there are second marriages. So it has been a bit of a page at a time..

Thanks for your interest..

Peter