Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    babylons5

Smile Childrens Home, Huntingdon

Hi all

Does anyone know if there was a childrens home in 1950's in Huntingdon? I can't find any information about any such place. My mother is insistent that she was in a home there but doesn't know any details other than that. I'd like to get her records.

Thanks in advance!

Geoffers

I have absolutely no idea - but - Huntingdonshire Archives has minute books for the childrens home sub-committee which may mention specific homes by name and so at least give you a start. There may be other useful records which turn up using Access to Archives.

Spangle

Hi Babylon5. I don't know I'm afraid but I do know who might. The Cambridgeshire Archives are online, with many searchable records, some of which cover Hunts too, although 1950 may be too late. However, if you give them a call or drop them an email they'll be very helpful. They clearly love their jobs and delight in assisting people to know more about the area. If you/they do find any records a copy can normally be sent to you for just a couple of pounds.

Wishing you good luck,

Spangle.

babylons5

Default Huntingdon Childrens Home

Still no joy on a childrens home in Huntingdon area in 1950's. If anyone has any information it will be greatly received.
    Thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

I've sent you a pm Babylon5.

Reputation beyond repute

Still no joy on a childrens home in Huntingdon area in 1950's.
    I can't do better than Geoffers' suggestions. They seem the best approach. Have you followed them up? For example have you contacted Huntingdonshire Archives to discuss their holdings, pick their brains on local knowledge and make arrangements to visit if they've got something to look at?

Hi Babylon5,
    I popped into the Cambs (Huntingdon) Archives quickly today (they are open on Saturday once a month, also weekdays but I can't go then) and have arranged to go back on the 13th of next month to look at the minute books that Geoffers suggested and will let you know any names of homes mentioned.
    Had a thought while I was there...if you know which school was involved there might be a very slim chance that the school took in groups of children from children's homes - just another possible source of information?
    Browneyes

babylons5

Thanks very much for doing that for me, its greatly appreciated.

On the thought of schools? Well after speaking to my mother she doesn't recall ever going to school whilst in the home, she was only six when her father took her out of there. He is still alive but won't speak of anything that happened in those days!!

I just wish he would tell us something!!

Thanks again

The minutes mentioned four homes during the 50's:
    Ambury Rise, Huntingdon
    Edward Home, Huntingdon
    The Lindens, Fenstanton
    Riverlea Nursery, Godmanchester

Other bits of interest:
    All the schools took their children on summer holidays (before the mid 50s all the children of the homes went together): i.e. Ambury Rise to a campsite at Sutton on Sea; Edward Home exchanged with East Suffolk County Council Children's Home, Southwold; Riverlea Nursery to seaside boarding houses in Eastbourne. Two girls from The Lindens went to a guide camp in Sussex. Bognor and Swanage also mentioned. Bus trip to Lady D Shepperson's house.

Pocket money per week:
    Each child received 9d sweet money plus 5-7 yrs 9d, 8-10 yrs 1/3d, 11-14 yrs 1/9d, 14-15 yrs "no fixed scale".

In 1954 they retained a pet dog at The Lindens!

Not much to go on I'm afraid but I enjoyed my visit to Huntingdonshire Archives!
    Browneyes.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Riverlea

Quote Originally Posted by babylons5 View Post
    Hi all

Does anyone know if there was a childrens home in 1950's in Huntingdon? I can't find any information about any such place. My mother is insistent that she was in a home there but doesn't know any details other than that. I'd like to get her records.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, My mother was at Riverlea, Godmanchester in 1958 and the Grange, Swavesey later...did you find out any more info?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast