Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    glassorb

Hi, many thanks for your reply and so quick as well.
    I will certainly be continuing my research on all "branches" of my family tree, which seem to stretch from Cornwall ( dad's side), to Lincs, Hampshire, Wales, Manchester etc etc etc
    Take care and once again thanks for information.
    Richard

glassorb

Hi, many thanks for your reply and so quick as well.
    I will certainly be continuing my research on all "branches" of my family tree, which seem to stretch from Cornwall ( dad's side), to Lincs, Hampshire, Wales, Manchester etc etc etc
    Take care and once again thanks for information.
    Richard

thesearcher

Thank you for your post. Mrs Gordon Coe was my great grandmother. I would be very interested to know how I might access that obituary, could you advise me on that?

thesearcher

you will find the people on this forum extremely helpful. Happy hunting.

glassorb

Default Obituary for Mrs Gordon Coe

The obituary can be viewed on the britishnewspaperarchive web site, if you register you can have 15 free credits, or sign up for a subscription, it is then just a matter of using the advanced search facility to find the article.
    Hope this helps

thesearcher

Wow, that was a very helpful tip. Spent most of the weekend trawling through the newspaper archives. I found the obituary and also news on 2 other relatives. Well worth the 2 day subscription. Thanks.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default US Consulate, Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by thesearcher View Post
    I was very interested to find in the 1861 census that one of my ancestors was a vice consul for the USA in Liverpool. His name was Samuel Pearce, born 1790 in Shrewsbury Shropshire.
    Does anyone know how I might gain more information about this consulate and the people who worked there? Is there anyone out there who connects with this family too?
    You may be interested to read my book which will be published in March 2018. Its title is: US Consular Representation in Britain since 1790. Here is the link:
    https://www.anthempress.com/us-consul...-since-1790-pb

Among other things it includes the histories of fifteen US consulates from the date of their opening until the date of their closing (with the exception of Edinburgh and Belfast which are still open). One of the consulates covered is Liverpool, which opened in 1790 and was the first operational US consulate in the country. It has a fascinating history. I notice that in 1853 the vice consul was James Pearce, not Samuel, but he may be a relative as it was fairly common at that time for families to be associated with posts.

Hope this is of help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12