aquiss

Default Forum Home Page Text - Bold

I find the forum home page a little overpowering with bold text.

If you compare https://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forum.php to say a sub forum like https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...rit-Gen-Forums then the subforum is much easier to read.

Just my little input, but I think the home page text should also be "non bold" for the forum description text.

Thoughts?

At the moment it is all transitory, the software was upgraded last week and Bo Peep, our lovely Administrator and owner has been working 14 hours a day to get it the way we like it. As each tiny change involves at least a dozen mouse clicks and several changes of window you can appreciate that it is not an easy task.
    Even though this new software is more secure and keeps us safe there are some "bugs", as the designers call them, which will not be fixed until the end of next week. We do appreciate the interest shown by members and I can assure you that at least one of the Moderators is reading everything that is said.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

aquiss

Hi Bo, I agree, but with the current colours, for me (and i have been developing large scale web sites for over 10 years) the impact gained is actually lost by using bold text.

Just because it worked before, does not mean it will work going forward. For me it's just not as professional looking as the inner pages, which do look nicely polished now, but more importantly very easy to follow.

aquiss

Hi Bo,

Still showing as bold for me, and tried in 3 browsers to be sure of local caching issue....just so i don't confuse anyone here....this is from the front page

Welcome(1 Viewing)
    Don't just lurk on Brit-Gen as a guest. Get registered, introduce yourself and post your family history queries. I should mention that unlike some sites, you do have to be accepted before you can make a post (this is to prevent spammers, etc.) but acceptance shouldn’t take too long.

It's the bit in bold above i'm referring to.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by aquiss View Post
    Hi Bo,

Still showing as bold for me, and tried in 3 browsers to be sure of local caching issue....just so i don't confuse anyone here....this is from the front page

Welcome(1 Viewing)
    Don't just lurk on Brit-Gen as a guest. Get registered, introduce yourself and post your family history queries. I should mention that unlike some sites, you do have to be accepted before you can make a post (this is to prevent spammers, etc.) but acceptance shouldn’t take too long.

It's the bit in bold above i'm referring to.
    Not bold for me. It is this page?

aquiss

Ok it's fine in Opera/Firefox. Internet Explorer 7 and 8 both still show it as bold.

I do think however the non bold version (which is also left aligned) works better. That's just my view of course, but seems more inkeeping.

Interesting to note that in IE 7/8, it's also centered as well as bold....CSS bug maybe?

Maybe worth copying the CSS style from sub forums to front page? I know vBB is bit of a sod in this department compared to other forum software.

aquiss

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    vBulletin is a bit of a sod in all departments at the moment!
    Yep, I gave up with it some years back on personal/client development and opted for PhpBB. vBB was making me go grey before my time :P