Richard Miller

Smile Nicholas Mursell born abt. 1768 Newport

Hi Folks

I am trying to find out a little more about my 3 x great grandfather Nicholas Mursell born in Newport Isle of Wight.

According to the 1851 Census living at Castle Row, Gosport, Hampshire
    Nicholas Mursell 83 widower born abt. 1768 Newport, Isle of Wight, Hampshire occupation Publican
    Louisa Gage 45 married dau born abt. 1806 Alverstoke, Hampshire
    Thomas Mallmey 23 grd son born abt. 1828 Alverstoke, Hampshire occupation Shipwright
    Louisa Mallmey 21 grd dau born abt. 1830 Alverstoke, Hampshire
    Hannah Whethers 15 servant

name Mallemy miss-transcribed should be Mulloney. The children are the children of Louisa Gage who was previously married to Samuel Mulloney

and possibly born abt. 1771 according to the
    1841 Census living at Whitehchapel Union Workhouse, Whitechapel, Middlesex
    Nicholas Murrell 40 born abt 1801 Master of the Workhouse
    Elizabeth Murrell 35 born abt. 1806 Matron of the workhouse
    Nicholas Murrell 70 born abt. 1771 Gentleman
    All not born in the county and name miss transcribed

Nicholas age 40 is the son of Nicholas age 70 and

According to the 1851 Census was living at Whitechapel Union Workhouse, Whitechapel, Middlesex
    Nicholas Mursell 51 born abt. 1800 Alverstoke, Hampshire occupation Master of the Workhouse
    Elizabeth Mursell 48 born abt. 1803 Portsea Hampshire occupation Matron of the Workhouse

I do know that Nicholas Mursell senior married Ann Tibbs 04 May 1788 at St. Mary's, Portsea, Hampshire, England.

Other researchers suggest Ann Tibbs may have died before 1799 as he remarried Ann Glassbrook in 1799 or Ann Glasspole (as Hampshire Genealogical Society Marriage records indicate) I am not sure which.

Either way his daughter Anne Elizabeth Mursell born in Gosport abt. 1791 (baptism 19 Feb 1791) married my great great grandfather William Garrett.

Any assistance received to help me discover a little more about Nicholas Mursell and family would be gratefully appreciated.

Best wishes

Richard

Jan1954

Hello Richard,

As you could well find that other members of your family came from the Isle of Wight, you may find this to be of interest.

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Hello Richard

My paternal great grandmother was Frances Mary Mursell b 1826 Newport IOW, d/o Nicholas Mursell and Ann Atwell, both b c1795.

I have carried out quite a fair amount of research on the Mursell family of the IOW, of course with the help of many other distant relatives of mine.

I also have three family Trees that were mailed to me about ten years ago.

Some time back I sort of went quiet on this family search. I can put you in touch (by PM) with a Mursell person who has recently became the leading researcher on this very large Mursell family of the Isle of Wight.

Indeed a very interesting family. My great grand mother died 1887 at Freshwater IOW.

Bill in Melbourne.
    Last edited by Rove; 30-01-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: correction of test

Richard Miller

Hi Bill

Thanks for your interesting message. Would the Mursell person be Barry Mursell who leads a Yahoo group?

Regards

Richard

zalzamora

Hello Richard,

Was your Nicolas Mursell b 1768 the son of Nicolas Mursell b 1729 Carisbrooke, IoW, and Hannah Smith b 1732 Carisbrooke IoW ?

I am also a Mursell descendant through the Isle of Wight line (my great grandmother was Edith Maud Mursell b 1882 North Kensington, Middlesex (London now)).