Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Fras54

Cool UncleRalph

Quote Originally Posted by Joc_42 View Post
    ALSO WE HAVE CONNECTIONS TO THE BOWMAN FAMILY - WHO OWNED A FAIRGROUND AND TRAVELLED IN AND AROUND THE DEPTFORD AREA WELL INTO THE 50-60'S
    If it's not too late...

I would like to communicate about Fred and Alice Bowman, the latter a distant first cousin. I have some information and a grainy photo, but there are gaps I would love to fill.

Mark

Joc_42

Quote Originally Posted by Fras54 View Post
    If it's not too late...

I would like to communicate about Fred and Alice Bowman, the latter a distant first cousin. I have some information and a grainy photo, but there are gaps I would love to fill.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Never too late! Not sure how much help I can be as my info is limited but I'll certainly try.

Regards,

Jo

Fras54

Cool Bowman

Hello Jo

My link to the Bowman family is via a distant first cousin, Fred Bowman's wife: Alice Eleanor Williams [1871-c1964]

I have information about her and her Williams family background and where they came from. Do you have the painted lady article from the 1990's Mercury with her picture? I can send that if not. I think I also have one of Fred somewhere.

Any thing you can tell me would be potentially useful for my compilation. If you feel able to share off this forum you can contact me via marklamooreATgooglemailDOTcom..

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by christanel; 29-03-2020 at 12:54 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Terrie

Default John Loveridge and Maney Hedges

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post

John LOVERIDGE son of Adolphus & Sophia married a Maney HEDGES in the December qtr 1905 at Dartford reg district, and they are living at 49 Hale Street according to the 1911 census, he being shown as a 24 year old Hawker, born Deptford. She is shown as married 6 years, aged 23, born Pitsey, Essex and they have a niece Ceila (Celia?) LOVERIDGE aged 15 born Deptford living with them. Needless to say, I can't find Maney in any census records prior to 1911!!

Janet
    I realise this is a really old thread but wondered whether with the passage of time more had been discovered. I'm trying to find out more about my maternal heritage. My Grandmother was the daughter of John Henry Russell and Ellen Matilda Smart. The Smart family did not register births and used an array of names, so are proving elusive. I'm really struggling to trace the family line which is believe to have Romany origins. My Grandmother and her father lived with John and Maney (Mercy) from just before WW2 until after the end of the war. My Grandmother's sister, Mary Russell, lived with them until she died. My mother remembers that John and Maney took care of her during the war and that she travelled with them, living in a tent in a farmer's field. This being the case, I was hoping to find a connection to my own family through theirs, but am struggling. Is anyone able to help?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Terrie.
    Without reading all of the posts on this thread and just using the information you gave in your post John and Mary Russell are with John and Mercy Loveridge in the 1939 register at 42 Douglas Way, Deptford.
    The writing for the months of dates of birth is terrible but looking at Mary Russell's and comparing it with others on the page I think it is the 22 Dec 1895. Her father's John Henry Russell is also difficult but possibly 7 November 1870.
    Violet May Thirskeld? birth date 21 August 1911 is also in the household. Unpaid domestic duties. For some reason she has a red asterisk against her name.
    John Loveridge is down as disabled.
    Mary Russell is a hawker , John Henry is retired

There is a redacted entry at the same address so possibly someone who is presumed to be still living.

Sorry if you already have this record but it may help anyone else wanting to help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The marriage took place 21st May 1894 at St John's Deptford. Ellen Matilda Smart was 20yrs father William a labourer. John Henry Russell 23yrs, a carman father John Henry Russell a labourer, both were living at 57, Nelson St. Witnesses: Anthony Smart and Mary Ellen Smart.

1939 register, 42, Douglas Way, Deptford.
    John Loveridge born 6th June 1880,married, hawker (disabled)
    Mercy Loveridge born 16th May 1885,married, hawker
    Mary Russell born 22nd Dec 1895, single, hawker
    John Russell born 7th Nov 1870, widow, retired.
    Violet May Thirkettle born 21st Aug 1911 married
    Plus one redacted record.

Violet May Russell married James Thirkettle 1930.

Deaths Jun 1894
    Smart Ellen Matilda 45 Greenwich 1d 568

Marriages Jun 1884

Jones Ellen Matilda Croydon 2a 381
    Smart William Croydon 2a 381
    Alma

Hi Christina, It looks like our posts crossed, sorry I've repeated the information you gave but we do agree so that's good
    Alma

1881, 44 Giffen St Deptford St Paul. RG11; Piece: 702; Folio: 9; Page: 11
    William Smart 32, labourer, Reading Berkshire
    Ellen M. Smart 32, London Hammer (something, could be Hammerton or Hammersmith
    Willm. Smart 12
    Anthony Smart 9
    Ellen M. Smart 8
    Elizabeth J. Smart 2
    John Smart 1
    No birth places entered for the children.

1871, RG10; Piece: 599; Folio: 78; Page: 36;
    William Smart 23, hawker, Reading
    Ellen Jones 22, hawker, Chiswick
    William Jones 3, Croydon
    Robert Simon 28, lodger, hawker
    Alma

These records are for Ellen Matilda's parents.

Deaths Jun 1894
    Smart Ellen Matilda 45 Greenwich 1d 568

Marriages Jun 1884
    Jones Ellen Matilda Croydon 2a 381
    Smart William Croydon 2a 381
    The Smart family did not register births and used an array of names, so are proving elusive
    As it seems they didn't marry until 1884 perhaps the children's births were registered with their mother's surname.

William's marriage certificate is on Ancestry.
    June 9th 1884, St Saviours, Croydon, William Smart 35, bachelor, labourer, father Stephen Smart a labourer
    Ellen Matilda Jones, 35yrs, spinster, father Roger a labourer.
    Both at same address: 35, Forster or Foster Road Croydon. Witnesses George Russell and Thomas Lambert.
    Alma

As it seems they didn't marry until 1884 perhaps the children's births were registered with their mother's surname.
    There is a tree on Ancestry suggesting Ellen Matilda Jones was also known as Ellen Matilda Williams. These births do appear to fit, as yet I haven't found one for Ellen Matilda Smart/Jones/Williams.

SMART, ELIZABETH JANE, Mother's maiden name WILLIAM
    GRO Reference: 1877 M Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 939

SMART, JOHN, Mother's maiden name WILLIAMS
    GRO Reference: 1879 D Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 949

WILLIAMS, ANTHONY -
    GRO Reference: 1871 J Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 743
    No Mother's maiden name entered which usually suggests an illegitimate birth.

If Ellen Matilda Jones was also known as Williams we need to investigate further, unless you know why?
    Alma

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast