Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    oldphart

Looking hard at my database after contact with another Polperro LIGHTFOOT researcher, I find that there are two separate LIGHTFOOT families in the area. One branch is those descended from Richard LIGHTFOOT (m. Elizabeth POLLARD) who I think came from St Breock and was born there about 1768 the 4th known son of Rendle LIGHTFOOT and Rebecca HEWITT.

The other branch is descended from a William LIGHTFOOT (m. Elizabeth SLADE) who lived in Talland parish and would have been born around 1750 (married in 1773). There is a possibility that he was William b. 1751 the eldest son of Rendle LIGHTFOOT.

So Sue, the question is have you anything that could possibly support these two hypotheses?

Michael LIGHTFOOT
    Canberra, Australia
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2007 at 12:32 PM.

suedent

Quote Originally Posted by oldphart
    Looking hard at my database after contact with another Polperro LIGHTFOOT researcher, I find that there are two separate LIGHTFOOT families in the area. One branch is those descended from Richard LIGHTFOOT (m. Elizabeth POLLARD) who I think came from St Breock and was born there about 1768 the 4th known son of Rendle LIGHTFOOT and Rebecca HEWITT.

The other branch is descended from a William LIGHTFOOT (m. Elizabeth SLADE) who lived in Talland parish and would have been born around 1750 (married in 1773). There is a possibility that he was William b. 1751 the eldest son of Rendle LIGHTFOOT.

So Sue, the question is have you anything that could possibly support these two hypotheses?

Michael LIGHTFOOT
    Canberra, Australia
    I haven't got anything conclusive to support the theory however I can say that Richard Lightfoot died at Treweers, Lansallos in June 1847 and was buried 21 June 1847 at Lansallos aged 78.

William was buried 1 June 1799 at Talland.

If either of them left wills there might be a clue there.
    Last edited by Dipsey; 21-09-2007 at 2:21 PM.

oldphart

Default Making that link...

The problem with making the link between geographically separate families before 1841 will always dog us I'm afraid. :-(

The only evidence that might give us a connection here would be a will for Rendle LIGHTFOOT which I don't think we will find as by the mid 18th century the family at St Breock were all Ag Labs renting houses from landowners.

Another possibility is that marriage records may mention the parish of origin or the father's name. A single mention of a father called Rendle would be proof as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Banns are another piece of possible evidence as in theory they should have been read in both parishes. I know that Banns from "my" parish of Merther are not complete and mainly from the 19th century.

One thing I would reiterate which led me to assume the connection for Richard LIGHTFOOT is that his grandson Henry LIGHTFOOT emigrated to exactly the same town in NSW, Australia as my g-grandfather John LIGHTFOOT (from St Breock and another g-grandson of Rendle) and the families definitely had contact (one of Henry's sons married the niece of my g-grandmother.)

However, I guess it will always remain a bit of a conundrum...

Michael LIGHTFOOT
    Canberra, Australia
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2007 at 12:28 PM.

suedent

Just a thought Michael, do you have a death date for Rebecca wife of Rendle?

There is the burial of a Rebecca Lightfoot at Talland on 15 Nov 1776, sadly no age given.

The only other Rebecca I have around that timeframe is the daughter of William Lightfoot and Elizabeth Slade baptized in 1773. My database has her with an illegitimate son John Turner LIGHTFOOT baptized in St Martins by Looe 30 Jun 1805. She then marries Philip HANCOCK 1 Sep 1807 again at St Martins. In 1841 she and Philip are living at Crumplehorn, Lansallos. She was buried 8 June 1849 at Lansallos.

I know of no other Rebecca Lightfoots in the Polperro/Looe area at that time so Rendle's wife may well be a possibility.

Sue

oldphart

Default Rebecca LIGHTFOOT

I have Rebecca LIGHTFOOT nee HEWITT dying at St Breock on 10 Aug 1792. This information comes from a reliable source (another researcher of LIGHTFOOTs). I should ask the OPC for St Breock if there is a burial record just to make sure.

It is unlikely that she would have moved to Polperro as I also have her bearing a son in 1771 at St Breock and Rendle LIGHTFOOT dying at St Breock in 1795 (no source listed.)

Hmm, I need to clean up this old stuff and get sources and collateral lines more organised.

Michael LIGHTFOOT
    Canberra, Australia
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2007 at 12:29 PM.

suedent

[QUOTE=oldphart]I have Rebecca LIGHTFOOT nee HEWITT dying at St Breock on 10 Aug 1792. This information comes from a reliable source (another researcher of LIGHTFOOTs). I should ask the OPC for St Breock if there is a burial record just to make sure.

It is unlikely that she would have moved to Polperro as I also have her bearing a son in 1771 at St Breock and Rendle LIGHTFOOT dying at St Breock in 1795 (no source listed.)

Hmm, I need to clean up this old stuff and get sources and collateral lines more organised.

Michael LIGHTFOOT
    Canberra, Australia

I'll make a note of that on my database.

It has made me re-think whether the Rebecca Lightfoot in St Martins by Looe was actually one of the Polperro Lightfoots. I'll make a note on my database to that effect.

That's unless someone can claim the Rebecca that was buried in Talland. It's such a shame that the ages weren't given in the early burials.

Sue
    Last edited by Dipsey; 21-09-2007 at 2:20 PM.

Default research on Jessie Lightfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Dear Bev,
    If you now Email me direct I will send the 35 pages of descendants of Rendle and Rebecca that I have.
    Dear Lightfoots,
    Have any of you come across Jessie Lightfoot, who died 1951. She was Francis Bacon's nanny and is reported to have said she was descended from either William or James Lightfoot, who were hung in 1840.
    I would be really grateful for any information at all. I suspect she was descended from William's eldest son William?

Thank you
    Alistair Hicks

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    You may not have noticed, but you have joined a thread last used 11 years ago.

It will probably be more profitable to trace Jessie's family through traditional genealogical techniques - in this case birth, marriage & death certificates, the census, etc. Do you know where she died, and whether "Jessie"was her actual forename or a pet name? I assume that she was Miss Lightfoot, and not Mrs?

There are about 31 JLs in the 1911 census - about half of them married into the name.

PS Apparently, from the murder reports, the men were a Cornwall-based family. There's a very long account of the murder & trial in the Royal Cornwall Gazette of 21 Feb 1840, if you haven't seen it already. The most relevant bit for you is that it says that both men were married and had families.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 08-06-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: comment about BMD deleted - wrong century. Tnx Pam!

Dear Leslie,
    Thank you so much for your speedy response. Yes I have read the reports about the case.
    Miss Jessie Lightfoot died at 7 Cromwell Place, London SW7 on 30 April 1951. I don't know how old she was but I suspect she would have been born somewhere between 1860 and 1875. From reading the accounts and geneology of the two brothers hung for murder. It there are two possible leads . William's oldest son is in the 1841 census of St Treoch as living with his grandparents. The only other alternative I think if she really is descended from them is there vague talk of a son called Charles being born to James's wife in 1840 the very year he was hung.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I don't know whether Jessie was her christened name.
    Just to confuse there is also talk of a Lancashire connection as well as a Cornish one.
    Alistair

I think that it's a good idea to put the "grey info" to one side for the moment, and track Jessie backwards. If you're right, the hard data from BMDs and census should correspond with the family stories.

Her death cert should at least give you her age. You can use that to eliminate many of the JLs in the 1911 census, then track the remaining Jessies back through the other census years to a point where she's living with her parents and look for her birth cert... If you're lucky, they'll collide with the children you know of.

PS Sorry about jumping back a century in my original reply - I've spent the whole morning with my head in the 19th century, and didn't notice...

PPS The FreeBMD index gives her age as 80.

PPPS The 1901 census has 2 of similar age - one b Cornwall abt 1872, the other b. Cheshire abt 1870. Unfortunately they're both servants, so no clues about parents in the 1901.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast