Thread: Stoll Empire

CACurd

Default Stoll Empire

My great-uncle, Lawrence Frederick Owen b1883, was a musical director for Stoll Empires during the 1930s and 1940s. Does anyone know if there are any archives that would have any information about where he performed?
    Thanks
    Carol

Google "The Stage Archives". For £5 you can purchase a 24 hour pass to search the archives of The Stage newspaper.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

This site might give you some pointers as to which theatres to look for in any searches.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

CACurd

Thanks Sue, I'll take a look at these. I believe he played at the Wood Green Empire amongst others but haven't been able to find information out about him.

Mutley

Anything on
    www.
    arthurlloyd.co.uk/index.html

CACurd

I tried that a while ago and did put a request in the guestbook - I can't find it now though! There are some interesting photographs on the site but I couldn't find anything about my g-uncle

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear CACurd, do you know whether your great uncle served in WW1 in the Middlesex Regiment as it is possible I have his medals in my collection. Many thanks, Chris

https://britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/advanced

If you select Advanced Search, pop "lawrie owen" into "The phrase" and search, will give you some idea of the venues. But it's a subscription site to view the original.
    You can then switch to alternative search keys eg "owen musical director" and so on.

I did google "lawrie owen orchestra" which threw up 1 hit
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

CACurd has not bee active on this site since 2013 so they might not see your post. If they have notofications activated for this thread and they still have the same email address then they could return and post a reply
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time