Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Loves to help with queries

Cool BROOKS, LAMPEN, LISKEARD - 1750-1850

My Ancestors Jane Brooks c: 1828 and William W. Williams were married 30 Sept. 1850 in Liskeard, Cornwall. Only their first child, Elizabeth was christened in 1852 in Liskeard and then Jane and William emigrated to the USA. Jane's parents were William Brooks and Mary Ann Lampen married 11 Oct. 1818 in Liskeard. Jane's siblings were Elizabeth c: 1819; Richard c: 1832 and William c: 1833. I'm sure there were children after Elizabeth and before Jane but I didn't find any.

I have lots of information on the ancestors and descendants of William Williams. The only information I have for Jane is her parents and siblings. I know nothing more about William Brooks than his name. For Mary Ann Lampen, her mother, I have her christening date of 29 Jun 1798 in Devon, Devonshire to her parents, Henry Lampen and Elizabeth. No more is know of this family.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

MarkJ

Is this from the IGI?

Devon and Devonshire are the same place - a county in England. There is a thread somewhere on the forum about the shire suffix which may help to explain.

Mary Ann Lampen - I suspect she was born in Devonport, which is now part of Plymouth - which is in Devon, just across the river from Cornwall.

My reason for that guess is the 1851 census entry for a Mary A Brooks, who is listed as a nurse for the Harvey family in Liskeard.
    HO107/1902 ED 3a folio 175 page 61

A little further down the same page is William Brooks (folio 206 page 45) aged 18 and a sister, Mary Ann, aged 29.
    Interestingly, they have a lodger with them called George Williams - perhaps a connection to William Williams there?

There is also a Philip Brooks entry in the same census which may be part of the same family.

Mark

MarkJ

Jane can be found on the 1841 census, living with her widowed? mother and siblings Richard and William, together with Elizabeth Lampen and a John May.

HO107/153 ED2 Book 10 folio 45 page 34

Smile Clarification

Yes, I have contributed this information to the IGI. Thanks for all your time and effort.
    1. The information for Mary Lampen was taken from Film 0590689, Births/Bap Wesleyan Church, Devon, Devonshire, England and under Methodist Chapel, Plymouth Dock, Devonshire for her birth and christening
    2. I suppose that is a possibility for the 1851 census if she was a widow in 1841 (yes, have that census) and was living with her daughter and son in law in the 1861 census (which I have). My "paper" file is at home. Could you please refresh my memory about the Elizabeth Lampen? When and where born?
    3. No, there are no George Williams in our family for a couple of generations but it was a good idea. Wish I knew if Philip Brooks fit in, no record of him. Can you tell me how old he was on that census, who he was with and where he was born, please?
    4. Certainly sounds like Mary's son William and a daughter Mary Ann. Thanks for that 1851 census, I didn't find that one and didn't know about that daughter. Where was she born? Was there anyone else living with them?
    As you can tell, I don't have access to those census records and can't order them in as I am not at home and won't be for a couple of months.
    Thanks again for all of your help.

MarkJ

1 - Certainly Devonport I feel. The docks are at Devonport, which, as I mentioned, is part of Plymouth now.

2 - The 1841 census won't tell you where someone was born, just In County or not. Likewise ages are unreliable on that census because of the rounding applied.

3 and 4 - The Cornwall censuses for 1841 to 1891 inclusive are available free of charge online from the Cornwall Online Census Project. A quick google will bring up the website for that
    It is perhaps better if you look at the Brooks etc entries yourself - you may spot something else of use, for example someone living next door or in the same road who is related...

But if you want me to give the details, I can happily do so.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I checked my PAF file and I did have those census records. However, I went to Free CEN (didn't find the Cornwall Online Census Project unless that is the one you mention) and found a couple of childrens' marriages. Thanks again.

There were two children there I didn't have. Something strange. On the film I looked it, it gave Jane's baptism as 8 Sept. 1828. I probably copied it down incorrectly. Appreciate your help.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Does this line connect to Moses Williams Jeffery, mayor of Plymouth Dock?
    Last edited by DSWilsonCT; 29-07-2017 at 1:28 AM. Reason: typo

Sorry, that is all of the information I have.