Thread: Help please.

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Default Help please.

I have just looked on the non-conformists site for BMD and spotted a few of my lot, but I need a sub to access the records. Could some kind soul look them up for me. If you need credits for this, then I apologise for asking - don't want someone to use them up for me.

Dudfield Benjamin 1783 Burial London RG4_3986
    Dudfield Elizabeth 1794 Burial Worcestershire RG6_0818
    Dudfield Elizabeth 1794 Burial Worcestershire RG6_0824
    Dudfield Elizabeth Husband / Father: Samuel Dudfield 1794 Burial Worcestershire RG6_0824
    Dudfield Samuel 1843 Burial RG4_4367 (probably London)
    Dudfield Mary Maria 1852 Burial London RG8_0037
    Dudfield William 1847 Burial London

Thanks
    Sue

pattenwalsh

Dudfield, Benjamin. Date of burial 2/11/1783 Bunhill Fields City Road London.
    Dudfield, Elizabeth. Date of burial 14/1/1794, Date of Death 12/1/1794 buried at The New Meeting House, Worcestershire, age 31, carpenter.
    Dudfield, Elizabeth .This is the same record except that the age is given as 31 years & 7 months and also Husband/Father given as Samuel Dudfield.
    Dudfield, Samuel. Date of burial 27/4/1843 at age 60 at the Countess of Huntingdon's Chapel in the parish of St James Clerkenwell, Spa Fields, London.
    Dudfield, Mary Maria. date of burial 18/3/1852 at Bunhill Burial Ground, Golden Lane in the City of London aged 62,place of abode given as St Bartholomews
    Hospital.
    Dudfield, William. date of burial 1/4/1847 age 34,place of abode Boars Head Court ,Smithfield, buried at Bunhill Burial Ground, Golden Lane in the City of London.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Pending the arrival of someone with the right sub, you can at least identify the burial grounds by using the TNA catalogue search page.

Ignore the main Search, but use the small Go to Reference box (top left).

Enter the class/piece number, replacing the underscore with a forward slash, and omitting any leading zeros. So (for example) RG8_0037 must be entered as RG8/37

Click Go to Reference. This will identify the burial ground, which may be helpful.

You'll find that class RG6 is Quaker records, which are often in more than one source (e.g. Monthly/Quarterly meetings), so the records for Elizabeth could well relate to the same person.

Meanwhile, three of the London ones I can identify from elsewhere:

Dudfield Samuel 1843 Burial RG4_4367 (probably London)
    Spa Fields Burial Ground (Islington)
    27 Apr 1843
    age 60, from St Pancras

Dudfield Mary Maria 1852 Burial London RG8_0037
    Golden Lane Burial Ground
    16 Mar 1852
    age 62, from Bartholomew's Hospital

Dudfield William 1847 Burial London
    Golden Lane Burial Ground
    1 Apr 1847
    age 34, from Boar's Head Court, Smithfield

Kerrywood

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Goodness!!
    Thank you Patternwalsh - that was what I wanted to know.

And thank you Kerrywood - again!
    I didn't know I could look up the burial grounds. You are so knowledgeable!
    Where did you identify the London ones from?

Someone suggested to me a while back that they may have been Non - Conformists and I ignored it as they were not baptised as such. Only goes to show!! Quakers as well. This is a second line of my family that I have discovered to be Quakers. I know several Quakers now, but were they very prevalent at that time?

Sue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Where did you identify the London ones from?
    A handful of nonconformist burial grounds in London are covered by FMP's so-called Parish Burials database.

Someone suggested to me a while back that they may have been Non - Conformists and I ignored it as they were not baptised as such.
    Many nonconformists did not baptise anyway, so the absence of baptisms may in itself be an indication of nonconformity.

This is a second line of my family that I have discovered to be Quakers. I know several Quakers now, but were they very prevalent at that time?
    More particularly in the 1700s, when the records are very informative (particularly marriages, which often have large numbers of witnesses). But other forum members will be far more knowledgeable than I about Quakerism.

Many families dipped in and out of nonconformism of various kinds as it suited them and as fashions changed, particularly in London, where there tended to be more choice than in rural areas. Some chapels drew crowds to hear a particular preacher. You can find London families with half a dozen children's births recorded in as many denominations - Wesleyan, Quaker and Congregational/Independent, along with Anglican baptisms.

On the other hand, persistent nonconformists might travel some distance from their home parish to a chapel/venue of their choice. As an example, I had a family living in Chelsea whose births were recorded in Limehouse, right across the other side of London.

Kerrywood