Pol Dubh

Default Robert Gilroy born Dundee 1835

One of my great grandfathers.

I have one IGI entry that he was born as per above.

And a copy of his marriage cert - Married my great grandmother in Auckland NZ on 11 June 1869 at St Patrick's Cathedral. But no details of parents of either party were recorded. Disappointing because these details are usually recorded. I know the details of his wife from elsewhere - she was born in NZ - but nothing of Robert's.

I find navigation around the Scottish BMD to be nigh on impossible and would be grateful for some help.

Paul

JAP1

Hello Paul,

I note that the IGI entry is a patron submission from a member of the LDS.
    With 1869 marriage date, and 1910 death date.

As there is no specific date for Robert's birth/baptism, it is probably estimated from another certificate. Perhaps the marriage cert (does that have his age?), or the death cert? Is there an MI?

Do you have any idea when Robert went to NZ? If so, was it with his parents?

FreeCEN has a Robert GILROY in Dundee in the 1841 census. Check it out and see if anything rings a bell. Though this Robert was only 2m old in 1841 ...
    I can't check out later censuses (1851 and 1861) just at present - someone else might ...

Have you looked on ScotlandsPeople - which now has some RC records (and it does look as though the GILROYs might have been RC?).

Best of luck,

JAP

JAP1

Default PS

What about the following extracted entries for children of George GILROY & Sarah REID in Dundee:
    GILROY
    * James Reid, b 7 Nov, bap 24 Dec 1847
    * Robert, b & bap 20 May 1849
    * George Alexander, b 26 Feb 1851
    * Alexander, b 20 Mar 1854

There are extracted entries for the marriage (banns) of these parents in 1846 in Dundee and in Liff Benvie & Invergowrie.

JAP

Pol Dubh

Thanks JAP1,

I have no idea if he really was born in 1835 but he definitely was married 11/6/1869 and yes, he was RC.

He died 1910 aged 75 so the 1835 birth date seems most likely.

It would be more respectable if he were younger since his wife was born 1855, ie aged 14 at wedding.

regards,
    Paul

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Paul, this is my great-great-grandfather, and I suspect you are my first cousin once removed. Be good to catch up on this. 14 years later still no extra details about Robert's forebears, other than a name `Neil' Gilroy was Robert's father, but no details of his mother, and no details about when they arrived in New Zealand. It is a weird black spot. Working on finding out more. He was definitely born in 1835, and the others from Dundee are not him. Those are the Gilroys who set up a major company in Dundee, a lot of the same names, but not our line.
    Last edited by Timo119; 09-02-2024 at 3:26 AM. Reason: More info

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just doing further research. I can only find a 6-year-old Robert Gilroy in Edinburgh in the 1841 census, but the rest of the family was still in Edinburgh in 1851 and 1851 Robert was listed as 11 (Probably 17 written down badly)
    Last edited by Timo119; 09-02-2024 at 4:11 AM. Reason: Ongoing research, my first attempt probably wrong

Welcome to BG.
    Unfortunately, Pail is no longer a member (he’s tagged Guest) so he won’t see your message.
    In Scotland, BMDs only began in 1855 (the the messages at the top of our Scottish forum), before that we have to rely on the census and Church records.