BourneGooner

Default Barthwell Smith or Barthold Smith

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum and I'm hoping that someone out there can help me.
    This may be going over old ground for some but I've only just come across the info on this forum concerning my 3x great grandfather BARTHOLD SMITH. He had a son Albert Smith b.1847 married to Mary Ann Betsy Donson and then to Anne Maria Tindall all from Navenby in Lincolnshire. Albert and Mary Ann were my gt gt grandparents. On the marriage cert between Albert and Mary, Alberts father is shown as Barthold, I know Albert later married Anne Marie Tindal and on this I gather Alberts father is listed as Barthwell. I haven't as yet got a copy of that cert to confirm the name.
    Barthold Smith has been a bit of a brick wall for me up until I found this forum and from what I can make out he was also known as BARTHWELL SMITH from Grimscote, Northants who died 21/11/1861 in Navenby..
    I'd be grateful for any info on Barthold\Barthwell Smith anyone has particularly if someone could confirm that Barthold and Barthwell are one and the same.
    Finding this info on my 3xgreat grandfather has been a bit of a ureka moment for me so I'm still trying to make sense of it all and any help would be gratefully recieved.

BourneGooner

bibliojunkie

Welcome BG to BG! There are some very knowledgeable folk and good detectives here. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Ali

A fountain of knowledge.

Default Bathold Smith

Cannot confirm Bathold and Bathwell as a fact, but I bet it is right.

Was not aware of Albert! a new connection to play with! (I guess you have already read the extensive threads on Bathwell and his wife Charlotte, so wont repeat the few bits I have on this family here.

BourneGooner

Hi Ann65

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have seen a thread on Barthwell/Barthold Smith which has helped a lot (I Hope!) but as you say the threads don't mention Albert my 2x great grandfather. His marriage certificate says father Barthold. I'm lead to believe his second marriage to Annie Tindall showas a father Barthwell, which all fits in with these other threads. I really must get to the records office on Lincoln and chase these up, I was just hoping that someone may already have found Albert Smith in there research somewhere.

BourneGooner

mongojoby

Hi BourneGooner,
    I wondered if you might be able to confirm who the marriage witnesses were for Albert's first marriage?
    Thanks,
    Jo

BourneGooner

Hi Jo,
    Sorry not replied earlier, not switched computer on for a few days (sometimes you need a rest from it :-) )
    I have copies of both Albert's marriages now from the archives in Lincoln, his first marriage to Mary Ann Betsy Donson on the 24 June 1866 at Navenby. His father is shown as Barthold Smith (Deceased). The witnesses were (the mark of) James Donson and Sarah Donson (signed). Sarah Donson would be the eldest sister of Mary Ann, James Donson is most probably Mary Ann's father, although she did have a brother James who would have been about 18 at the time of the marriage so could be the witness.
    Just for info the second marriage to Anne Maria Tindall on the 18 October 1875 at Boothby Graffoe shows Albert as a widower, father Bathwell Smith (Deceased), the witnesseson this one are Thomas Tindall (signed), Anne Maria's father and a Charles Priestley (signed).
    Hope this helps
    BOurneGooner

mongojoby

Thanks for that,

It doesn't immediately help me in terms of links- but you know what they say about everything you find out helps fill in a bit more of the bigger picture!
    Take care,
    Jo