neko

Default Thomas Hodgson, Sarah Atkinson

Thomas Hodgson of Westmoreland m. on 28 Apr 1821 Kirkby Lonsdale to my great, great, great grand aunt, Sarah Atkinson.
    her parents left for America the next year, with a number of their 11 children-how many, we do not know for certain but think most of thier unmarried children. we do not know exactly because the Maryland immigration records covering 1822 and many years to either side of it were lost in a fire.
    Sara remained in England with her husband, perhaps spending years trying to convince him to come to America and join her family. finally, on 27 Oct 1834 Sarah waited in vain for her husband to join her and thier children, James, John Aitken, Robert, Thomas and Mary Ann on the docks. having paid for their fair, she and the children got on board, perhaps never to see Thomas again. fortunately for us she arrived in New York and gave her son John's full name, so we are able to prove beyond any doubt which family is hers.

these are the children as I have them. all but Richard and Martha are listed in the IGI, I'm not sure why those two aren't there. also, I don't know why Thomas took Sarah away to Yorkshire, or what caused their return to Westmoreland.

James HODGSON b: ABT 1825 c. 08 Jan 1826 Skipton in Craven, Yorkshire, England
    John Aitken HODGSON b: ABT 1827 c: 22 Aug 1827 Skipton in Craven, Yorkshire England
    Richard HODGSON
    Robert HODGSON b: 11 Apr 1830 c: 23 Mar 1831 in Kendal,Westmoreland,England
    Thomas HODGSON b: 1831 in England c: 29 Jul 1832 in Kendal,Westmoreland,England
    Martha HODGSON
    Mary HODGSON c: 16 Mar 1834 in Kendal,Westmoreland,England

does anyone know what happened to Thomas Hodgson? did he remarry? do we have distant cousins? I'd love to add them and their family to the tree if they exist.

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neko View Post
    ..............I don't know why Thomas took Sarah away to Yorkshire, or what caused their return to Westmoreland.
    Maybe it is coincidental, but at the time they left Skipton, John Dewhurst's "Belle Vue Cotton Mill" was burnt down. Maybe he went there to work in the Mills.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

neko

interesting. and possible. without a census record, I don't know his occupation. he could be on the 1851, but where and with whom, I've no idea. it's a relatively common name and I have no data on him, so he won't be easy to trace without his family. still, one can hope...

Heather Bond

Thomas Hodgson, Sarah Atkinson
    I have both of these last names in my Yates, Thompson, and Nelson families.
    I'll check to see if Thomas stayed on with one of these families. I'll check through
    my 1851 census?
    Heather

neko

thank you, Heather,
    it would be interesting to find him. just to know what happened. Sarah's later marriages, listed by a great, grand aunt of mine-or maybe great, great grand aunt, I'd have to check to be certain, have proved to be difficult to research, and some people think they are not accurate, though how her niece would get wrong vital records in the 1800's is beyond me. anyway, if Thomas remarried and had family, it would be nice to know of them.

Heather Bond

Hi Neko,
    I see the Hodgson's related to the Nelson's on Peter Fawcett Connections.
    I have sent you a private message with site address.
    Regards,
    Heather

Heather Bond

Hi Neko,

I see Hodgson's married into the Wrathall family, and they lived in also lived in Yorkshire.

Heather

28 Jun 1860 William HODGSON of full age, bachelor, sawyer, Ingleton, father - William HODGSON, farmer, & Ellen WRATHALL of full age, spinster, Windy Hill, father - James WRATHALL, farmer. Witnesses: Isaac Wrathall, Agnes Bentham.

Fiona67

On the IGI there is a Thomas Hodgson christened 7 May 1786 Kirkby Lonsdale Father Robert Hodgson Mother Betty. Unfortunately it is not an extracted record but there are sources listed which might help you. It could be him

Hope that helps
    Fiona

birdlip

I think this is probably Thomas and Sarahs first child;

Robert HODGSON ch 17 Feb 1822 Hutton Roof, Westmorland. Parents Thomas HODSON and Sarah [Batch C044221]

According to Genuki, Hutton Roof is part of the parish of Kirby Lonsdale, it's about two miles away. Presumably this child died, because they named another child Robert in 1830. There's likely to be at least one more child before James, christened in 1826 in Skipton.