Mary Anne

Default Missing family on 1911 Cdn census...

Folks

I need fresh eyes and wizards with searching what may be odd transcriptions!

I am looking for my grandparents and their little family in 1911. They are:

• William Ralph WILSON, born 1869 in Ontario, Bank Manager in Innisfail, Red Deer County, Alberta;
    • Elizabeth Pittam WILSON, born 1872 in Ontario;
    • Ernest Brown WILSON, born 1904 in Innisfail, Alberta;
    • Anna Elizabeth Brown WILSON, born 1905 in Innisfail, Alberta; and
    • William Robert Brown WILSON, born in January 1911 in Innisfail.

I can find them in the 1906 census (except for Bobbie, of course, who was not born until 1911), in Innisfail, on Alberta Street. The couple of bank clerks lived next door. The family lived above the bank (according to my mother, who was Anna).

But I'm stumped with 1911. I can find William Ralph WILSON all right, but he is all by himself! The bank clerks (although different ones) are still living next door.

I am assuming grandma could have taken the new baby to visit her mother in Winnipeg, but she is not there with her parents in the census (Joshua and Johnanna CALLAWAY). The family later moved to Edmonton, but I don't find her already installed there, either. And she apparently was not visiting her married sister (Mary CASSELMAN) in Vancouver.

I suppose they could be somewhere in transit?

Or just lost in a convoluted mis-transcription... <sigh>

I would appreciate any help the Brit-Gen sleuths could provide!

Mary Anne

howard 44

hi. 1916 anna e wilson lived with parents at 18 strathcona alberta, 9745 89 th ave edmonton south. This from 1916 census . If you want further info contact email howardnorton11 AT hotmail.com
    Last edited by ChristineR; 14-01-2010 at 6:51 AM. Reason: attempt to disguise email to foil pesky spammers

v.wells

Mary Anne, I thought I'd found them on the 1911 in Carstairs but then you said you found William Ralph allright. The handwriting is exceptionally hard to read as the forms are so big and I'm sure the spaces were minimal for writing. I think she must have been either missed off altogether or on a train going somewhere.

If you need a look up at the Red Deer County Archives (which covers Innisfail) let me know.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Mary Anne, I thought I'd found them on the 1911 in Carstairs but then you said you found William Ralph allright. The handwriting is exceptionally hard to read as the forms are so big and I'm sure the spaces were minimal for writing. I think she must have been either missed off altogether or on a train going somewhere.

If you need a look up at the Red Deer County Archives (which covers Innisfail) let me know.
    Hi Mary Ann

I thought the same as Vanessa, but I got side-tracked on the CGHL Red Deer archival stuff, so never responded.

I did read in the Library and Archives Canada website that the 1911 census does not have a nominally indexed database, therefore it is not searchable by family name. Isn't that how you found William on the 1911 in the first place??

Sue

Mary Anne

Folks

Howard -- thank you, that is they (them? well, her...), that's my mother in the 1916. I hadn't got that far yet, thanks for the reference and she is indeed where she should be - in Edmonton (or what later became Edmonton)! I even knew the address as she related it to me after a lifetime.

Vanessa -- thanks for looking. But yes, I have found the Dad, it is the rest of the fam damily I am after!

Susan-y -- I was looking variously at Ancesspit and at Automated Genealogy. Usually if I can't find folks in the nominal index of one, I can find them in the other (different set of transcribers with different eyes...). And they both link to the LAC scanned pages.

But this time, I am just having no luck at all. The more I think about it, the more I think they must have been in transit to somewhere - as I say, probably showing off the new babe to rellies - he would have been 5 months old.

Isn't genealogy fun!?

Mary Anne

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Folks

But this time, I am just having no luck at all. The more I think about it, the more I think they must have been in transit to somewhere - as I say, probably showing off the new babe to rellies - he would have been 5 months old.

Isn't genealogy fun!?

Mary Anne
    The answer to your question is.............Sometimes

I also have grandparents missing from that census.... I know they lived in Vancouver at the time and have searched forever....No luck.

Sue

howard 44

Default william wilson family

Hi. If you have access to Ancestry.ca there is a family tree by michael darcy 99 that shows members of wilson family. You can often get access at a local library. It shows ernest born in edmonton. howard

Mary Anne

Thanks, Howard. Mike is a cousin - his ggrandmother and my ggrandfather were brother and sister

Mary Anne