Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Scottish Nurse WW2 Ann F (Annie Thom)

I am looking for any information on my Great Aunt Ann F Thom (Annie) from WW2, she was attached to the no.1 Scottish General Hospital (Territorial Force)
    I think she might have held the Rank of Sister or could have even been a Matron in a Hospital In Egypt during WW2
    I have two photos, the first of her with Lady Kilearn, whose husband was the British Ambassador in Cairo during the war, this photo is dated 25th March 1944. The second photo is of Annie and Field Marshall Montgomery this photo has no date.
    The Cape she is wearing in this photo has been identified as the uniform of the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve.
    At the start of the war I think she was nursing In a Hospital In Cruden Bay near Aberdeen.
    She was born in Aberdeen in 1891, her father was James Thom a Tailor and Clothier in Aberdeen and her mother was Margaret Michie.

Jan1954

According to this TNA Research Guide, you could write to:
    Ministry of Defence,
    Army Personnel Centre,
    Historic Disclosures,
    Mailpoint 400,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    Glasgow,
    G2 8EX

Also the Veterans Agency should be able to help. They will charge a fee.

salcat

There is a great book called "Sisters in Arms" by Nicola Tyrer, first pub 2008, ISBN 978-0-7538-2567-9, which is the story of the QAs (Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service during WW2, now known as QARANC Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps) Fascinating reading, and great background to her service.

Sally

cfww2

She must have been quite a woman as she was awarded two Red Cross medals. Promoted to Sister 30th May 1941

30 December, 1941
    To be Associates of the Royal Red Cross. Second Class:—
    Miss Ann Forsyth Thom (215005), Sister, Territorial Army Nursing Service.

8th June, 1944. The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following promotions in, and appointments to, the Royal Red Cross: —
    To be Members of the Royal Red Cross, First Class
    Miss Ann Forsyth Thorn, Matron (215005), Territorial Army Nursing Service.

Territorial Army Nursing Service
    The undermentioned Principal Matrons relinquish their commns., 1st Aug. 1950, and are granted the hon. rank of Principal Matron:

A. F. THOM (215005).

CF

Default Principal Matron Ann F Thom

Thanks for all your great responces, am feeling quite emotional great work, I will definatley be getting copy of the book "Sisters in Arms"

Cheers Gavin

cfww2

You may also enjoy Quiet Heroines: Nurses of the Second World War by Brenda McBryde.

And lots of fascinating information on:

https://www.qaranc.co.uk

CF

Default Re Book Sisters in Arms

Have just received a copy of this book from the local library and in the photos facing page 81 the last photo on the page must have been taken on the same day as the photo that has been in the Family for over 60 years .

The caption reads:-

Feild Marshall Montgomery, Commander of the Eighth Army, visits No. 2 General Hospital shortly after their capture of Tripoli at the begining of 1943.

He is shown being introduced to Nursing Staff by Matron Thom.