Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nannyval

Default Padiham. Lancashire

Please can you help? Wish to find the history of Pendle Hall, place where all 4 known children of the family were christened 1782-.1787.
    Google gave me a photo, via an estate agent(property for sale) a few years ago and cheekily I asked them to forward my letter of interest to the seller, but no response.
    I have not been able to link with local history of area.

Was it usual for baptism in private house, or is it, that this (Pendle Hall) was not a home but place of worship?

Jan1954

Pendle Hall looks to be a farm.

It may well be that the babes were not expected to live and so private baptisms took place.

pilgrim father

Parish records 1606 Ellin fa Williami Ryley de Pendle Hall

This is the only referrence to Pendle Hall, so I hardly a place of worship.

Pendle is a district within Padiham.

nannyval

Default pendle hall

Thats a sound theory, as it happened appears all survived, so I wonder why they were there. Were the family Farmers or Farm workers ?

raineshoe

Padiham is just down the road from me. If I get a chance when the weather is better I'll try and see if I can find it and get you a photo. Also, I'll look in our local library (local studies section) and see if there is any info for you. It'll have to be when I'm passing or have some spare time but will try for you.

I have pm'd you.

raineshoe

The Starkie family owned Pendle Hall in the later 1600's.

nannyval

Now we are getting warm........during the latter half of my cousins life 1990s she still maintained contact with a long time friend. family of the same name.

Is there a fairly reliable source for this area around 1700s? I am hopelessly clutching at straws, my aim eventually (if I survive that long!) to show the family connection between William Hall died 1899 (farmer) and one of the mentioned children being his gt grandfather.

Despite all the census searches, unable to find birth certificate giving me the next step.

susan h

Hi, have only just joined this site and have seen your original mail, hopefully you are still picking up the replies. My uncle ran Pendle Hall Farm for many years up until the 1990's. I have lots of photos of the place and am doing my own research into that side of my family, perhaps we can swop emails.

From the Burnley Gazette, Sat 15 April, 1871
    "......Pendle Hall, a large Tudor mansion, built about the reign of Elizabeth, was conveyed, with 776 acres of land, in marriage with Anne, daughter and heiress of Nicholas Hancock, in the year 1560, to Edmund Starkie, of Huntroyd, and has ever since belonged to the family, and has occasionally been used as the abode of junior representatives of the house. It is also a farmhouse".

old maps https://old-maps.co.uk/index.html
    click on link, enter coordinates 380220 434560
    click on 1848 map and when loaded in main window, click to zoom
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Amongst the creditors of the bankrupt John Townsend listed by the Manchester Mercury, Tue 9 Sep 1783 -

Richard Hall, Pendle Hall, Lancashire £9 13s 0d
    Samuel Hall, ditto, Hatter £4 0s 6d
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast