Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    patdrenten

Default On-Line Book Hall Family Dunnington Yksh

I was interested in the history of Lilling Hall in E. Lilling near Sheriff Hutton Yksh. but had never Googled Lilling Hall before, and lo and behold, at the very end of 10 pages was Dugdale's Visitation of Yksh. with Additions, and displays the genealogy, extensive, of the Halls in Leventhorpe, Swillington, Dunnington and then to Lilling Hall where the youngest Hall daughter, Alice, married in 1710 Thomas Plumer of Bedale. This looks like a bonanza for Hall families.

Nicolina

if you are interested in people from Dunnington, then you might also be interested to know that the people of Dunnington have been collecting genealogical information for a few years and some of it is online. I'll see if I can find the site for you.
    Should you discover any KENDALL (or variants) let me know and I'll see what I can add.

Nicolina

here's the website link: https://www.dunningtonhistory.org.uk/

nannyval

Thank you from one of those seekers of the HALL family

Regards from val:

with more brickwalls, but buckets full of hope and shovels full of valuable help from all at BritGen

patdrenten

Default British Hall Family

I got a copy of the book. The Hall family tree is on 2 pages, and runs from 1584 to 1745. This may be too early to be of use to you. This is while they lived in Lilling Hall in Sheriff Hutton. There are soooo many Halls in Dunnington, Yorkshire, so I have not researched the family. If you want a copy of those 2 pages, please send me your address.

patdrenten

As soon as I learn how to establish a web page, I will put ithis book on the web. It's more than 25 pages and some of the family genealogies runs into the 1500's, however, some are only as current as 1754, some the early 1900's. I know this may not help much if you haven't gotten the family further back than 1800, but eventually more may be able to use it. There were errors discovered and covered with an errata and I, myself, discovered an error: an ancestor fathered children after he died. So that death date is erroneous. We will have to keep watch for other errors. Actualy it covers the Halls living in Lilling Hall in Sheriff Hutton,Yorkshire, and that Hall family, I believe, came from Dunington, Yorkshire. I have not researched the Halls in Dunnington so my title was misleading. The Hall genealogy covers only 2 pages but has many names and locations.

jmichael_hall

Hi, Pat. In fact I do have a family line plotted back to 1671, a George Hall. Owing to the fact that I live in El Salvador makes it very difficult to corroborate the info I presently have that seems to fizzle out before 1671 and after the 1870's. I am planning to spend a month or so in York, my home town, in the not too distant future so that I can emmerse myself in the Hall family records and sort out the wheat from the chaff. It seems, though, that my Halls are largely associated with neighbouring Gate Helmsley that seems to have had a fairly continuous Hall line all the way back to my mysterious George from 1671. However, and given the close proximity of the two villages, it is difficult to see how they cannot be related to the Dunnington Halls in some shape or form. My George has no family recorded and so it is difficult to trace any further back with any certainty. I am very familiar with the early Dunnington Halls some of whom can be traced back to areas around Hornsea and Mappleton in the East Riding. And, of course, one has to be careful not to mix up the Dunnington in the East Riding that also seems to have had a fairly healthy Hall community. I cannot be certain but I also suspect that the Halls in East Lilling/Sheriff Hutton originate in the Swillington and Normanton areas (Amongst others), became Free Masons, Lord Mayors and Merchant Adventurers of York and possibly out of their prosperity became gentrified farmers and yoemen. I have not been able to make a connection with the Hall's of Gate Helmsley with the Dunnington Halls to date and possibly, although I cannot believe it, they are an entirely different family line. It seems that the Hall's of Lilling Hall/East Lilling commence with Henry, was passed on to the elder son, another Henry, who died fairly young and without issue and subsequently passed down to Francis Hall, ex-Dunnington, who had a prodigeous family. Not withstanding all the aforementioned, Pat, I would be delighted to see these two copies and, given my distant location, wonder if they can be scanned and sent by Email on - jmichael_hall(at)yahoo.com - Let me know, please. I would dread to lose this opportunity.

PrestonFamily

Hi Pat,

Just in case anyone else is now researching the 'Hall' family of East Lilling, Yorkshire, England, the 2 pages that you are referring to within Dugdale's Visitations to Yorkshire are now available on the Ancestry.com website.
    Kind regards, your niece in county durham.

looby1660

I know this thread was started some time ago, but as there was an update recently and the contributors are mostly not in this country, I thought I would offer my services to visit Dunnington should anybody want me to, for any reason. I used to live there 10 years ago and although I have moved now, I am now a 5 minute drive from Sheriff Hutton as I live in the Howardian Hills just outside York. I am familiar with many of the places listed above, Gate Helmsley obviously, East Lilling and even Swillington near Leeds (I lived in the next village to that before I moved to Dunnington! how coincidental!?) If any of you would like photos of parts of these villages or I can do you a visit/search in the register (permission at relevant churches being given), do let me know.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

looby, that is a very kind offer. Thank you.

Though you might have to forget the look-ups in any registers still held by the church. The vicar can legally charge you to look through them - think it's currently about £21. Bit steep to fork out on the off-chance that you might find one entry for someone, though obviously worth it if it's your relatives you're trying to find.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast