Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Rhondashelford View Post
    So when you say ages were rounded down do you mean if someone was 18 the census would have recorded him at 15? He did change his age all the time, too bad details are lost.
    Yes that is how it worked however some enumerators did it, others didn't. You can usually tell which one did by looking at all the entries on a page. Also in the 1841 census it wasn't recorded which village/town/city the person was born only whether they were born in the county they were living in at the time, withe an answer of Y or N.
    Do come back when you receive the marriage certificate and let us know what it says.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

I have received the marriage certificate. Now I wish that I'd also requested the certificate for Emma Bass as well so we could verify if it is the same Samuel. The certificate lists Samuel as a bachelor and it looks like his age says "full age" I can't figure out what else it can be. It says Susan is 18. I think it says Susan is a spinster haha...at 18! Samuel is a labourer in Orsett. His father is Nathaniel and Susan's father is Thomas.
    Last edited by Rhondashelford; 09-07-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: missed a word

Hello again
    Yes it more than likely says full age for Samuel. This happened frequently and is annoying. Maybe another way of Samuel hiding the fact he was quite a bit older than Susan.
    Giving Nathaniel as his father's name does give support to him (Samuel) being the one baptised in 1813 as mentioned in previous posts.
    Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate?
    Samuel Shelford
    Christened 1 Sept 1813
    AT St Ann's Blackfriars London
    Father - Nathaniel Shelford
    Mother - Susanna

I'll have to read this thread again to remind myself where we got to.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

I found on ancestry that Nathaniel, Samuel's father's wife is Susanna Bonce so that takes me farther back which is good. I just wish I could prove that Nathaniel Reuben 1848, is in fact Thomas Reuben. Hopefully this is helping other Samuel Shelford researchers. Perhaps I will now order the Samuel and Emma Bass marriage certificate.
    Thanks so much for your help!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234